The Student Room Group

english at a RG or law at a non RG

i would like to become a solicitor after university, and am aware of the path to qualifying through not having done a law degree, i just don't know anyone whos done it so idk how feasible it is. i am predicted AAB and with that i cant get onto any of the more respected law courses but i CAN go to a respected RG to study english, a subject i am also passionate about. If i apply for law this year ill have to go to a mid table uni, but idk if its worth getting my undergrad at a RG and then doing GDL afterwards to qualify. i have no idea what to do and im so stressed because my school internal deadline is next week
Reply 1
Original post by 064hs
i would like to become a solicitor after university, and am aware of the path to qualifying through not having done a law degree, i just don't know anyone whos done it so idk how feasible it is. i am predicted AAB and with that i cant get onto any of the more respected law courses but i CAN go to a respected RG to study english, a subject i am also passionate about. If i apply for law this year ill have to go to a mid table uni, but idk if its worth getting my undergrad at a RG and then doing GDL afterwards to qualify. i have no idea what to do and im so stressed because my school internal deadline is next week

The big law firms really place RG unis on a pedestal - I’d definitely say go to a RG uni for English, work as hard as you can there to get a 1st or a 2:1 , and then do a law conversion course wherever (and whenever - there’s no rush; consider working for a bit after uni to start paying back student debt and funding ur conversion course). RG unis are great because they give you endless networking opportunities, and you can always join law societies and get invited to these events without doing a law degree. Law is such a competitive career at the moment - doing an English degree shows you have more breath and does keep ur options open incase you decide law isn’t for u. Whereas if you get a law degree from a mid-tier uni, other possible careers could be in jeopardy if u decide law isn’t for you. Hope this helps 🙂
Reply 2
This somewhat depends on what the non-RG university is - remember whilst the RG universities tend to all be pretty highly ranked the "RG" as an organization is really just a lobbying group for its members. There are strongly regarded universities out there that aren't part of it. If the other university is roughly comparable then I don't see any particular disadvantage.

If you go for the English & conversion route (equally valid of course), worth bearing in mind it's an additional year of GDL to pay fees and living costs for - may be a consideration depending on what financial support you have available. Around 50% of training contracts go to non-law students so this is absolutely no disadvantage when it comes to applying (I was a non-law grad who went through the TC process, as were many of my friends & colleagues)
Have you looked at the universities in clearing for law in the last few years and the grades they were looking for?

I think you would be able to get 2 or 3 offers from “RG” law courses with AAB predictions.
Original post by 064hs

Hi @064hs

I did a undergrad in English and then did a GDL afterwards. I would say nearly 50% of qualified lawyers don't do a law undergrad so if you want to study a different undergrad degree first then this certainly won't hold back your legal career! I don't think you should only study a non-law undergrad because you think a "less prestigious" uni will reflect badly on your CV. Most employers retract the info of where you studied during the application process and just look at the grade obtained and the subject. Therefore, I would say make the choice based on what you want to study or where you want to study. If you love an institution (just because you love it) then that would be worth maybe pursuing a different undergrad in - as long as it is not just because of rankings!

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending