The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Can I get into Aston's product design and technology BSc course next year?

So this summer, I achieved distinction, distinction and D in product design (the subject i wish to study). My school has appealed this as my whole class did dreadful with the highest being a C. I was 5 marks away in my coursework from getting me to a grade C.

If my grade were to come back a C, would I be able to still do their course? Their requirements happen to be B Distinction Merit when i first applied. Is the C still too low?
Original post by grand_goals
So this summer, I achieved distinction, distinction and D in product design (the subject i wish to study). My school has appealed this as my whole class did dreadful with the highest being a C. I was 5 marks away in my coursework from getting me to a grade C.

If my grade were to come back a C, would I be able to still do their course? Their requirements happen to be B Distinction Merit when i first applied. Is the C still too low?

From what you have written, your grades would still be below their standard requirements. You don't give any clues as to which qualifications you're taking (you only mention the grades) so I can't equate them to the more traditional three A levels. However, you might be able to.

In A level terms we can see from this page on their web site that for Product Design and Technology they ask for BBC. However, we can see from the "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" section on The Uni Guide here that they accept a decent number of BCC candidates. So there may be some wiggle room.

You could ask their admissions team, but they're likely to tell you that they'd need to see your full UCAS application to make any determination.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
From what you have written, your grades would still be below their standard requirements. You don't give any clues as to which qualifications you're taking (you only mention the grades) so I can't equate them to the more traditional three A levels. However, you might be able to.

In A level terms we can see from this page on their web site that for Product Design and Technology they ask for BBC. However, we can see from the "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" section on The Uni Guide here that they accept a decent number of BCC candidates. So there may be some wiggle room.

You could ask their admissions team, but they're likely to tell you that they'd need to see your full UCAS application to make any determination.

I appreciate the response. I should of definitely mentioned what the distinctions were in. These are BTEC level 3 extended certificates in creative media and performing arts.
Original post by grand_goals
I appreciate the response. I should of definitely mentioned what the distinctions were in. These are BTEC level 3 extended certificates in creative media and performing arts.

Thanks for clarifying. You wrote earlier that, "Their requirements happen to be B Distinction Merit when i first applied", which doesn't seem to match what their web site says now:

"• Extended Diploma and National Extended Diploma (science/ technical/engineering types): DDM
National Diploma and Diploma (science/ technical/ engineering types): DM plus 1 A-level at minimum Grade B.
Foundation or 90 credits Diploma (science/ technical/ engineering types): DM plus 2 A-level minimum grade B.
Foundation or 90 credits Diploma (any subject): DM plus 2 A-level minimum grade B including a science or technical subject.
National Extended Certificate or Subsidiary Diploma (science/ technical/ engineering types): M plus 2 A-levels at minimum Grade B.
National Extended Certificate or Subsidiary Diploma (any subject): M plus 2 A-levels at minimum Grade B including a science or technical subject.
Certificate/ National Certificate Level 3: Not accepted"

Of course, this may just be down to the fact that they can list every possible combination of qualifications that candidates might have, and so only list the most common combinations. Or have the requirements changed since you you applied last year?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Thanks for clarifying. You wrote earlier that, "Their requirements happen to be B Distinction Merit when i first applied", which doesn't seem to match what their web site says now:

"• Extended Diploma and National Extended Diploma (science/ technical/engineering types): DDM
National Diploma and Diploma (science/ technical/ engineering types): DM plus 1 A-level at minimum Grade B.
Foundation or 90 credits Diploma (science/ technical/ engineering types): DM plus 2 A-level minimum grade B.
Foundation or 90 credits Diploma (any subject): DM plus 2 A-level minimum grade B including a science or technical subject.
National Extended Certificate or Subsidiary Diploma (science/ technical/ engineering types): M plus 2 A-levels at minimum Grade B.
National Extended Certificate or Subsidiary Diploma (any subject): M plus 2 A-levels at minimum Grade B including a science or technical subject.
Certificate/ National Certificate Level 3: Not accepted"

Of course, this may just be down to the fact that they can list every possible combination of qualifications that candidates might have, and so only list the most common combinations. Or have the requirements changed since you you applied last year?

Pretty sure it has been the same. I think because I've done two extended certificates, they only required one science/technical subject which would be AQA A Level product design DT. When i did speak to them at an event where they advertise their university, they said its no issue as long as the science/technical subject is included.

If my grade were to come back a D, do you have any suggestions on what my approach should be for this year to prepare for next year?

Quick Reply

Latest