The Student Room Group

University courses

What can I do in uni with grades A,B,C or D in Fine Art, Biology and Chemistry, respectfully (based off predicted grades)?

I’m currently in year 13 and I have no clue what to apply to because of my grades. I really struggle with Chemistry (hence the C or D), in my last mocks I did terrible and I have been since the start of year 12, no matter how much revision I do. I also have a tutor for Chemistry but that still doesn’t help. I really wanted to go into dentistry but it isn’t looking like I’ll be able to, this year anyway.

Any advice on what courses I could do in uni with my subjects and grades would be much appreciated!
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Have you thought about doing a 1-year Art & Design Foundation Diploma - this would expose you to all sorts of techniques and art forms and could open up many different opportunities - read this https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/what-to-study/art-and-design-foundation-diplomas
Reply 2
Dental technology?
Reply 3
Hey, only just saw this, I was thinking of Fine Art in either stafford or falmouth (still looking for more unis but those have 104-112 UCAS points which I think is within my reach for now). Say I did apply to fine art with my grades, would they not consider me for a regular course, as in would I have to do the foundation year? Because when I was looking at stuff like say microbiology, they had two options one with a foundation year and one without, where the foundation you get taught basics so it’s basically the same course just a year longer.
Original post by McGinger
Have you thought about doing a 1-year Art & Design Foundation Diploma - this would expose you to all sorts of techniques and art forms and could open up many different opportunities - read this https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/what-to-study/art-and-design-foundation-diplomas
Original post by mds0306
Hey, only just saw this, I was thinking of Fine Art in either stafford or falmouth (still looking for more unis but those have 104-112 UCAS points which I think is within my reach for now). Say I did apply to fine art with my grades, would they not consider me for a regular course, as in would I have to do the foundation year? Because when I was looking at stuff like say microbiology, they had two options one with a foundation year and one without, where the foundation you get taught basics so it’s basically the same course just a year longer.

@mds0306

An art and design foundation course is there to help you explore different areas of art so that you are in a better place to decide whether you want to do a three-year fine art degree or do a more specific course e.g. graphic design. It's the opportunity to build your skills by learning different techniques and gives you the chance to build a portfolio which shows a range of skills which makes you a stronger candidate when you apply for university.

I think some universities do accept students who haven't done a foundation year, but when I did A level art, it was expected/ the general rule that you did an art foundation course before applying for a degree.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by mds0306
What can I do in uni with grades A,B,C or D in Fine Art, Biology and Chemistry, respectfully (based off predicted grades)?

I’m currently in year 13 and I have no clue what to apply to because of my grades. I really struggle with Chemistry (hence the C or D), in my last mocks I did terrible and I have been since the start of year 12, no matter how much revision I do. I also have a tutor for Chemistry but that still doesn’t help. I really wanted to go into dentistry but it isn’t looking like I’ll be able to, this year anyway.

Any advice on what courses I could do in uni with my subjects and grades would be much appreciated!

Hey @mds0306,

These sound like great subjects!

What interests you/do you have any hobbies? This might help us advice which degrees you might enjoy. Also, do you enjoy one or two of the subjects more than the other? Knowing this would also help inform what you might like.

Most universities will have a list of degree options like we do here. Have a look through them and note which ones sound the most interesting to you and look at the modules and how the course is structured.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 6
Hi

Original post by University of Kent
Hey @mds0306,

These sound like great subjects!

What interests you/do you have any hobbies? This might help us advice which degrees you might enjoy. Also, do you enjoy one or two of the subjects more than the other? Knowing this would also help inform what you might like.

Most universities will have a list of degree options like we do here. Have a look through them and note which ones sound the most interesting to you and look at the modules and how the course is structured.

Alia

Hi! Apologies, I’ve only just seen this.

I’d say my interests are more on the craftier side, for example I enjoy doing my own nails and hair, I also like painting and drawing (anything art related), and (as silly as this sounds) I also enjoy building houses on things like The Sims 4. My most enjoyed subjects are by far Art and Biology, I do also think Chemistry is interesting, however it is also difficult - at least for me.

I would still be very much interested in a career in dentistry but I don’t think it’s possible for me to get in, at least not for a 2024 start or in the UK.

I’ve had a look at the courses you offer, these are the ones I found both interesting and potentially achievable for me:
Applied Bioscience - BSc (Hons)
Architecture -BA (Hons)
Biology - BSc (Hons)
Digital Design - BSc (Hons)
Ecology and Conservation - BSc (Hons)
Forensic Science - BSc (Hons) or MSci

Thank you so much for your time!
Reply 7
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@mds0306

An art and design foundation course is there to help you explore different areas of art so that you are in a better place to decide whether you want to do a three-year fine art degree or do a more specific course e.g. graphic design. It's the opportunity to build your skills by learning different techniques and gives you the chance to build a portfolio which shows a range of skills which makes you a stronger candidate when you apply for university.

I think some universities do accept students who haven't done a foundation year, but when I did A level art, it was expected/ the general rule that you did an art foundation course before applying for a degree.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi,

That actually makes so much sense! I suppose it’s almost like a way of putting yourself in a similar environment to one where you would get a full art degree but it also allows you to weigh out whether you really want to pursue a full art degree and if you want to go into a more specific path e.g. graphic design. As well as allowing unis to see what you’re capable of, in a way.

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me!
Original post by mds0306
Hi

I’d say my interests are more on the craftier side, for example I enjoy doing my own nails and hair, I also like painting and drawing (anything art related), and (as silly as this sounds) I also enjoy building houses on things like The Sims 4. My most enjoyed subjects are by far Art and Biology, I do also think Chemistry is interesting, however it is also difficult - at least for me.

I'd definitely recommend a FAD before you commit to a specific degree - it sounds like your interests are quite varied and tend towards design rather than Art which won't be well covered in a Fine art A level. Have a read of https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684 and contact some local colleges and universities.

Something like Interior Architecture or Performance Design or Creative Technology or Exhibition Design could be a really good fit for you but spending a year really experimenting with studying design and art full time is crucial to making sure you're not setting yourself up for failure (plus most creative courses will accept a pass or merit at FAD regardless of your A level grades) so you wouldn't have to restrict yourself based on tariff points which you're doing at the moment.
Original post by mds0306
Hi

I would still be very much interested in a career in dentistry but I don’t think it’s possible for me to get in, at least not for a 2024 start or in the UK.

I’ve had a look at the courses you offer, these are the ones I found both interesting and potentially achievable for me:
Applied Bioscience - BSc (Hons)
Architecture -BA (Hons)
Biology - BSc (Hons)
Digital Design - BSc (Hons)
Ecology and Conservation - BSc (Hons)
Forensic Science - BSc (Hons) or MSci

Hi @mds0306,

It is great to see that you saw a few that you liked!

Have you been to any university open days? On open days you usually get to talk to staff about admissions and get more personal advice which you might find helpful as you are torn between two areas. If you cannot make an open day at any university, it could be worth contacting them to see if you can get an email to be in touch with someone from the subject you are interested in.

I would say keep a record of ones you like and why you like them.

Thank you fro letting me know a bit more about your interests. Whichever degree you choose, do remember that there are creative societies that you can join at most universities.

I am happy to answer any questions about Kent university and its courses if you have them, or think of them later down the line. Feel free to put them in our forum so we can see them and respond quicker.

Alia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending