The Student Room Group

Just Chatting

Haven't seen one of these for a while. Feeling a little lonely so if anyone wants to talk then I am more than willing. I'm interested in the following topics:
- Science
- History
- Philosophy
- General Academics
- Reading
- Chess
- General Learning, though I can adapt to what people necessarily want to chat about lol

Oh yeah and it goes without saying that I don't want anything sexualized :tongue:
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by quagmiretoilet
Haven't seen one of these for a while. Feeling a little lonely so if anyone wants to talk then I am more than willing. I'm interested in the following topics:
- Science
- History
- Philosophy
- General Academics
- Reading
- Chess
- General Learning, though I can adapt to what people necessarily want to chat about lol

Oh yeah and it goes without saying that I don't want anything sexualized :tongue:

What books do you like to read?
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
What books do you like to read?

I am currently reading "The Better Angels of our Nature" by Steven Pinker, what about you?
I am currently reading "The Better Angels of our Nature" by Steven Pinker, what about you?

I'm not reading anything at the moment but I'm well-versed in 19th and 20th century literature from Aldous Huxley, Charles Dickens, D.H. Lawrence and Nathaniel Hawthorne, to Virginia Woolf, The Brontes, Jonathan Safran-Foer, E.M Forster, Phillip Roth and Milan Kundera.
I'm not reading anything at the moment but I'm well-versed in 19th and 20th century literature from Aldous Huxley, Charles Dickens, D.H. Lawrence and Nathaniel Hawthorne, to Virginia Woolf, The Brontes, Jonathan Safran-Foer, E.M Forster, Phillip Roth and Milan Kundera.

That sounds wonderful, I cannot say I am too familiar with a few of those authors. I tend to shy away from literature as it does not necessarily interest me, I tend to read more scientific or historical books.
That sounds wonderful, I cannot say I am too familiar with a few of those authors. I tend to shy away from literature as it does not necessarily interest me, I tend to read more scientific or historical books.

What sort of history do you enjoy reading about?
What sort of history do you enjoy reading about?

General history, I'll give you some examples of stuff I read to get an idea. Wil Durant's History of Civilization, H.G. Wells Outline of History, Herodotus, Arnold Toynbee (though he can be dubious at times), I also like reading autobiographies. Why the West Rules for now, Strategy.
General history, I'll give you some examples of stuff I read to get an idea. Wil Durant's History of Civilization, H.G. Wells Outline of History, Herodotus, Arnold Toynbee (though he can be dubious at times), I also like reading autobiographies. Why the West Rules for now, Strategy.

Oh so you like broad histories am I correct? I tend towards modern history, mainly 20th century happenings throughout Europe and North America. If you give me a list of book recommendations from any topic I'll be happy to check them out.
Reply 8
Hello, Have you had the chance to read 'Enlightenment Now' before?
- Science
- History
- Philosophy
- General Academics
- Reading
- Chess

Original post by Orla9099
Hello, Have you had the chance to read 'Enlightenment Now' before?

Sounds wonderful, I shall definitely have to take a look. Currently reading his better angels of our nature so I'm enthused by his writing style.
Reply 10
He's amazing the way he writes is really interesting and makes you think. You'll probably like 'The Power of Now' too. Have fun reading!

Quick Reply

Latest