The Student Room Group

Have you ever called Childline?

If so what was it like and was it helpful?
Original post by Anonymous
If so what was it like and was it helpful?

If you need help, then call it. It is anonymous and confidential.
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
If you need help, then call it. It is anonymous and confidential.

I heard they sometimes send police to your house I don’t want to risk it
I was always too scared to call them but they do an online live chat service which I found quite helpful.
Reply 4
Original post by psychologynerd23
I was always too scared to call them but they do an online live chat service which I found quite helpful.

I’m too scared even for the online chat. I don’t believe it’s confidential
Reply 5
I've called them before. A few times actually. It's completely confidential, they will only share what you tell them with someone else if they need to do so, like if you're in an unsafe situation, or have the potential to harm someone else or yourself. But basically they're just there to listen to you, and like talk you through things.
Reply 6
I've called them before. A few times actually. It's completely confidential, they will only share what you tell them with someone else if they need to do so, like if you're in an unsafe situation, or have the potential to harm someone else or yourself. But basically they're just there to listen to you, and like talk you through things.

I am in an unsafe situation that’s why I want to call them but just for advice not to have police sent
I’m too scared even for the online chat. I don’t believe it’s confidential

They'll only send the police to your house if you or someone else are in immediate danger, like literally a life or death situation.
Reply 8
HI as someone who works for Childline. I want to reassure you that Childline is a completely confidential service and we only break confidentiality if we thought you were at real risk in terms of your safety well-being and there was a real threat this would happen. IE in terms of feeling suicidal if you said you had a specific plan and timescale and means to do it. Where possible we would try and work with you to come up with a safety plan if needs be. Obviously i can't comment on individual cases and it would entirely depend on your own situation. Where possible we would also tell you if we were concerned and were abut to break confidentiality.
Reply 9
I've only accessed Childline chats but they were confidential so far and I've accessed it like 15 times.
HI as someone who works for Childline. I want to reassure you that Childline is a completely confidential service and we only break confidentiality if we thought you were at real risk in terms of your safety well-being and there was a real threat this would happen. IE in terms of feeling suicidal if you said you had a specific plan and timescale and means to do it. Where possible we would try and work with you to come up with a safety plan if needs be. Obviously i can't comment on individual cases and it would entirely depend on your own situation. Where possible we would also tell you if we were concerned and were abut to break confidentiality.

I am an adult now but I had a really bad experience with Childline.

I was using their online chat when I was 18, I was at university and suffering very poor mental health (later diagnosed with BPD at age 19).
They hung up the online chat on me mid conversation, I was saying I was feeling very bad but I didn't give any kind of plan or anything or any signs of actual intent.

Anyway I was slightly annoyed that they just hung up on me for no reason and as I said I was feeling bad so I just went for a lie down in bed. Few hours later there is a knock at my door and two police officers showed up to my university accommodation.

Still to this day I have no idea what happened. Never used them again, not that I would have had much time to as I turned 19 shortly afterwards.

I was using their online chat when I was 18, I was at university and suffering very poor mental health (later diagnosed with BPD at age 19).
They hung up the online chat on me mid conversation, I was saying I was feeling very bad but I didn't give any kind of plan or anything or any signs of actual intent.

Anyway I was slightly annoyed that they just hung up on me for no reason and as I said I was feeling bad so I just went for a lie down in bed. Few hours later there is a knock at my door and two police officers showed up to my university accommodation.

Still to this day I have no idea what happened. Never used them again, not that I would have had much time to as I turned 19 shortly afterwards.

Hey, not the OP but I wanted to say I relate. I myself was suffering poor mental health this week and Childline ended the online chat mid conversation with me as well when I was talking about how I felt really bad but had a plan too. I talked about my plan and they ended the chat
Reply 12

Oh,ok thank you.
Reply 13

Thats so bad. Did the police explain why ? I’m not depressed but I’m sure that would make me feel 10x worse.
chats can disconnect for a variety of reasons even from technical difficulties our end. So we have to just work with what we've got and take it from there. However i can understand how hard this may have been for you. It Inst easy and the decision isn't taken lightly. I

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending