The Student Room Group

I don’t know if I want to go to uni.

Hi! I would appreciate any help with this. I have always been a very academic person (straight 9s at GCSE, A*A*AA at alevels, head girl) and I always romanticised what going to uni would be like. After my Alevels, I went to the uni of Bristol to study computer science but it didn’t go to plan. I loved living alone and the people but the course was so boring (the uni didn’t allow transfers) and I hadn’t really recovered from the pressure of Alevels; so I dropped out. I have taken a gap year and have re-applied (to read politics and economics) and am finding it incredibly hard to pick between the University of Nottingham and the University of Leeds.

I have a hunch that I’m finding it so difficult because I’m not really excited or looking forward to uni. I don’t know if it’s truly what I want, even though it’s what everyone expects of me (including myself). I’ve never considered a life without a degree but I don’t know if I’m even capable of getting one - no matter how academically smart I could be, if my mental health is bad I’ll just end up dropping out again or failing. I’m not entirely sure what to do as I’m not ecstatic about being a disappoint. What would you do in my situation?

Sorry for the rant :smile:

(P.S. which university would you pick out of the two I mentioned?)
Have you considered an apprenticeship? No debt and you end up with a degree at the end
Reply 2
Apprenticeship is a good option to explore but you can also trial out online university courses as well from places like Open University or MOOC. They'll give you an insight in the scope of your subject and what lectures look/sound like which might help boost your confidence. Your health should always come first whether physical or mental so take your time and don't feel rushed to make a decision.
It’s hard even for very academically gifted people uni isn’t for everybody. It is totally possible to be successful without a degree my neighbour recently became an air stewardess or you could look for jobs as an airline pilot if you start wit some one like EasyJet then move onto private jets you could be earning north of £300,000 a year (for the very top jobs flying for film stars and the like.)or you could become a train driver I know they are always striking for more pay but it’s not as bad as they make out (about £51,000 a year)just search Google for jobs without degrees, and see what takes your fancy. You can always go to university later it’s not going to go away I went at 21
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I would appreciate any help with this. I have always been a very academic person (straight 9s at GCSE, A*A*AA at alevels, head girl) and I always romanticised what going to uni would be like. After my Alevels, I went to the uni of Bristol to study computer science but it didn’t go to plan. I loved living alone and the people but the course was so boring (the uni didn’t allow transfers) and I hadn’t really recovered from the pressure of Alevels; so I dropped out. I have taken a gap year and have re-applied (to read politics and economics) and am finding it incredibly hard to pick between the University of Nottingham and the University of Leeds.

I have a hunch that I’m finding it so difficult because I’m not really excited or looking forward to uni. I don’t know if it’s truly what I want, even though it’s what everyone expects of me (including myself). I’ve never considered a life without a degree but I don’t know if I’m even capable of getting one - no matter how academically smart I could be, if my mental health is bad I’ll just end up dropping out again or failing. I’m not entirely sure what to do as I’m not ecstatic about being a disappoint. What would you do in my situation?

Sorry for the rant :smile:

(P.S. which university would you pick out of the two I mentioned?)

Hello,

Sorry to hear you've been finding it difficult. If you aren't ready to go to Uni, there's no rush, you can go anytime. Don't do it just because of it's what people expect from you. If you feel that it's going to affect your mental health, I would suggest taking some time to focus on yourself and your health. You won't be a disappointment because you decided to prioritize your health. As you said, you are a very academic person so there would definitely be other solutions, taking a short course while figuring things out, apprenticeship etc. It doesn't mean you can't go to Uni, nowadays colleges and universities provide different ways of dealing with stress and frustration that comes up, whether is providing Personal Academic Tutors(PATs) who you go to when you have any issues or wellbeing support and regular sessions or fun activities to enjoy your time and many more. Just take your time to think and decide what you feel is best for you but whatever choice you make, there are various ways to cope with it. Friendly reminder that there are always challenges in life whether you go to Uni or not and you would still have to deal with it but what matters is growing and learning from previous situations. Try not to worry to much. You are very brilliant and Uni is definitely a place to learn about life as a whole.

Regarding the university case, I wouldn't know which to pick as I haven't been to any of them but I'd advised doing research and even going for Open days to get the feeling. Everyone has their personal preference so what fits for someone else might not necessarily be a nice fit for you. Hope this helps!

Benedicta,
University of Sunderland Student Ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending