The Student Room Group

Anxiety

Hello, I got diagnosed with social anxiety almost 2 years ago and I've been dealing with it for a long time. I'm just starting my 3rd year of university (not yet enrolled), and my anxiety has never been worse. I had to take time off of my last placement, but I cannot do that again. I've been trying different medications from the GP and I've done talking therapy in my 1st year of uni.

My course has a very heavy workload and not many breaks. The stress of my course has really put me off it and I have now changed career goals. I know there's only one year left but there's a big part of me that wants to change to a different course.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I got diagnosed with social anxiety almost 2 years ago and I've been dealing with it for a long time. I'm just starting my 3rd year of university (not yet enrolled), and my anxiety has never been worse. I had to take time off of my last placement, but I cannot do that again. I've been trying different medications from the GP and I've done talking therapy in my 1st year of uni.

My course has a very heavy workload and not many breaks. The stress of my course has really put me off it and I have now changed career goals. I know there's only one year left but there's a big part of me that wants to change to a different course.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Plans made under stress or anxiety are rarely wise decisions. I think you need to really think whether its the workload that is your issue or the course, as you risk repeating this situation in 2 years time again if you go for something new if you get it wrong. Your options are;

Resume study and get support alongside (if you think this is nerves about third year that will settle as you continue, as in is this a cycle you recognise last year or before starting the course?)

Pause your studies now and give yourself time to work on your anxiety, and then think about if you want to continue resuming,

Quit course and reapply to a new role (you may not get funding for some of your course, so may need to find perhaps course fees)

All options have different pros and cons, but only you know whats right. My biggest advice is to really try and separate your anxiety from your decision, ask yourself things like, if the workload was halved do i think i would like course etc.

Lastly speak to your university support team and draw on every support you can, such as thinling about deferrals and individual supports.

Take care,

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest