The Student Room Group

What course can I do to get a high paying salary and enjoyment in IT/tech field

Hey guys, I want to get into tech/ IT and don't know what university courses I could do. I was thinking about doing a computer science course but it is very maths-heavy and not what my end goal is. I currently do A-level business, media studies and graphics. I intend on studying for a foundation year to get up to scratch with what the tech degrees demand from me.

I like to code and get into the technical bits like how the computer works etc. and also like design hence by a level choice subjects.

Please can anyone give me guidance I feel so lost in my life and honestly don't know what I am going to do.
Original post by Clivierx
Hey guys, I want to get into tech/ IT and don't know what university courses I could do. I was thinking about doing a computer science course but it is very maths-heavy and not what my end goal is. I currently do A-level business, media studies and graphics. I intend on studying for a foundation year to get up to scratch with what the tech degrees demand from me.

I like to code and get into the technical bits like how the computer works etc. and also like design hence by a level choice subjects.

Please can anyone give me guidance I feel so lost in my life and honestly don't know what I am going to do.

You say that "a computer science course ... is very maths-heavy and not what my end goal is." What is your end goal then? Tech Support? Network Engineer? CyberSecurity? Database administrator? Game designer? Something else?

Note, by the way, that your stated aims of "a high paying salary" and "enjoyment" might be at odds. Would you rather do something you thoroughly enjoyed, but where the pay might be sub par, or would you rather get a good salary even if the work wasn't that exiting?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You say that "a computer science course ... is very maths-heavy and not what my end goal is." What is your end goal then? Tech Support? Network Engineer? CyberSecurity? Database administrator? Game designer? Something else?

Note, by the way, that your stated aims of "a high paying salary" and "enjoyment" might be at odds. Would you rather do something you thoroughly enjoyed, but where the pay might be sub par, or would you rather get a good salary even if the work wasn't that exiting?

"Would you rather do something you thoroughly enjoyed, but where the pay might be sub par, or would you rather get a good salary even if the work wasn't that exiting?"
both? I guess I want a mixture of both where its fairly enjoying and decently paying (50K +)

In terms of tech I literally don't know where I want to get into, how do I know and research? I am sooo lost and don't know what to pick, I thought CS or software engineering would be good as it covers everything in tech but others in this thread told me not to do it because of its maths heavy content. The thing is, I can cope with maths and find it fun and interesting but not at a supeeerrrr advanced level like further maths.
"Would you rather do something you thoroughly enjoyed, but where the pay might be sub par, or would you rather get a good salary even if the work wasn't that exiting?"
both? I guess I want a mixture of both where its fairly enjoying and decently paying (50K +)

In terms of tech I literally don't know where I want to get into, how do I know and research? I am sooo lost and don't know what to pick, I thought CS or software engineering would be good as it covers everything in tech but others in this thread told me not to do it because of its maths heavy content. The thing is, I can cope with maths and find it fun and interesting but not at a supeeerrrr advanced level like further maths.

How about choosing a degree in Computing (rather than Computer Science), which can be more general in nature. That way you can learn where your passion lies whilst studying for your degree.

For example:
London Metropolitan University have a Computing (including foundation year) - BSc (Hons) which does not require a Maths A level, and covers a wide range of topics including Programming, Cyber Security, Computer Hardware and Software Architectures, Databases, Data and Web Development, etc. (Details here.)
Solent University have a similar BSc (Hons) in Computing with Foundation Year, here, which covers those same general areas. (Again, no Maths A level required.)
University of Bolton also have a BSc (Hons) Computing with foundation year, here, again with no Maths A level requirement. (Although they do say, "Any subjects are acceptable at Level 3. Relevant science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) and computing-related subjects are preferred.")

None of the above seem to really cover much in the way of design, but there are loads of similar courses out there. You just need to find the ones which suit you best. :smile:
Reply 4
How about choosing a degree in Computing (rather than Computer Science), which can be more general in nature. That way you can learn where your passion lies whilst studying for your degree.

For example:
London Metropolitan University have a Computing (including foundation year) - BSc (Hons) which does not require a Maths A level, and covers a wide range of topics including Programming, Cyber Security, Computer Hardware and Software Architectures, Databases, Data and Web Development, etc. (Details here.)
Solent University have a similar BSc (Hons) in Computing with Foundation Year, here, which covers those same general areas. (Again, no Maths A level required.)
University of Bolton also have a BSc (Hons) Computing with foundation year, here, again with no Maths A level requirement. (Although they do say, "Any subjects are acceptable at Level 3. Relevant science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) and computing-related subjects are preferred.")

None of the above seem to really cover much in the way of design, but there are loads of similar courses out there. You just need to find the ones which suit you best. :smile:

Mhm I see! I saw computing courses at other higher ranked universities and quite like the modules for example in bournemouth. What's the difference between computing and computer science? Is computing just more easier and more broader basically?

You're right, I'll definitely take a look at other courses universities have to offer!
Mhm I see! I saw computing courses at other higher ranked universities and quite like the modules for example in bournemouth. What's the difference between computing and computer science? Is computing just more easier and more broader basically?

You're right, I'll definitely take a look at other courses universities have to offer!

Well, you can't often trust universities to name their courses sensibly. For example, Imperial College don't offer a Computer Science degree, but if you look at the modules within their Computing degree here you'll see that it looks very like a Computer Science degree. They require an A* in A level Mathematics and have modules like "Discrete Mathematics, Logic and Reasoning", "Calculus" and "Linear Algebra" - all in Year 1.

However, generally speaking, the course title Computing more commonly refers to a degree which covers a wider range of computing topics than you might find in a Computer Science degree. That sounds more like the course than would be of interest to you, as you get to experience different aspects of computing and decide where your interests like.

The fact that some places like Imperial name their courses "oddly" does mean you need to look through the modules carefully, though, and not just rely upon the name of the course.
Reply 6
Well, you can't often trust universities to name their courses sensibly. For example, Imperial College don't offer a Computer Science degree, but if you look at the modules within their Computing degree here you'll see that it looks very like a Computer Science degree. They require an A* in A level Mathematics and have modules like "Discrete Mathematics, Logic and Reasoning", "Calculus" and "Linear Algebra" - all in Year 1.

However, generally speaking, the course title Computing more commonly refers to a degree which covers a wider range of computing topics than you might find in a Computer Science degree. That sounds more like the course than would be of interest to you, as you get to experience different aspects of computing and decide where your interests like.

The fact that some places like Imperial name their courses "oddly" does mean you need to look through the modules carefully, though, and not just rely upon the name of the course.

Thank you for this! Top notch advice, you're supeeerrrr kind :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending