The Student Room Group

History and Politics or History?

Hello! :smile: I'm currently deciding between applying between history or history and politics at Cambridge. I know I love history and I have a deep interest in politics, but I am unsure of what it is like within a university context. I was wondering for anyone studying history and politics is they think there is a good balance between the two subjects and if they love the degree or would they recommend doing solely history? Thank you!
Original post by EKBH
Hello! :smile: I'm currently deciding between applying between history or history and politics at Cambridge. I know I love history and I have a deep interest in politics, but I am unsure of what it is like within a university context. I was wondering for anyone studying history and politics is they think there is a good balance between the two subjects and if they love the degree or would they recommend doing solely history? Thank you!

Hi! I'm studying history and politics at Oxford at the moment, and I'd really recommend it. The two subjects go together really well, and it's nice to have more variety than a straight history degree. Someone famous once said, "History is past politics; and politics present history" and I think it's true in this context. You can either keep the overlap as large as possible, and study things like IR for politics and the Cold War for history, or go off on your own path and pick whatever obscure modules pique your interest. It gives you a lot of options. I'm not at Cambridge personally, but you should have a good overall balance between the two subjects, although this will differ from term to term.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending