The Student Room Group

Russell Group

Hey everyone,
My GCSE results were not great, I got a 444335566, I just got a pass on maths and science and I was hoping to study Biomed at a Russell Group uni. Unfortunately, due to my poor results i am doing Applied Science BTECs, I want to work in lab and I want to study at a good university doing a science degree. I am resitting maths to see if I can get a higher grade but is there any hope for me? Is going to a Russell Group uni an unrealistic path right now? What other unis could do get into? Please answer as I am lost with home. I got 6 in English Language and a 6 In Religion Studies, I have failed Design and Technology and Business Studies, not sure if I am even able to go to a good uni.

Kind regards
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by benitadolce
Hey everyone,
My GCSe results were not great, I got a 444335566, I just got a pass on maths and science and I was hoping to study Biomed at a Russell Group uni. Unfortunately, due to my poor results i am doing Applied Science BTECs, I want to work in lab and I want to study at a good university doing a science degree. I am resitting maths to see if I can get a higher grade but is there any hope for me? Is going to a Russell Group uni an unrealistic path right now? What other unis could do get into? Please answer.

Kind regards

So you have two potential issues:
1. Will your preferred Biomedical Science courses accept a Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science?
2. Will your preferred Biomedical Science courses accept your GCSE grades as they are?

There are 24 universities who are members of the Russell Group (which is marketing group. by the way, used by its members to help promote themselves; it is not necessarily an indication of a great university). These 24 universities all have their own entry requirements. I'll check a few for you to get the ball rolling; you can then continue with the rest.

The University of Manchester say here that, "We consider the National Extended Diploma in Applied Science with grades DDD for entry when it is taken with one science A-level with grade A." You don't mention your English Language grade, so I'm going to assume it's a 4. Manchester say, "Applicants must demonstrate a broad general education including acceptable levels of Literacy and Numeracy, equivalent to at least Grade 4 or C in GCSE/IGCSE English Language and Mathematics." So you're fine in that respect, just not with regards to the BTEC.

University of Bristol say here that they will accept, "DDD in Applied Science BTEC National Level 3 Extended Diploma, with Distinctions in five required Chemistry units" (although they don't mention what those five required Chemistry units are. If you want to potentially pursue Bristol you should contact their admission teams to check. If those units are optional units, then your school may not have opted to teach them. Do check as this is important. They don't mention any specific GCSE requirements, but the standard numeracy and literacy requirements would be a 4 in Maths and a 4/5 in English (Language or Literature).

Queen Mary, University of London, say here that "BTEC qualifications are not considered for entry to this programme." However, they also offer a four-year Biological Sciences with Foundation course (where the extra year is design to fill any gaps in your knowledge) for which they say here they will accept a BTEC National Extended Diploma: "Applied Science DDD". Their standard three-year course requires, "Minimum five GCSE passes including English and Maths at grade C or 4." However, the four-year version appears to have no specific GCSE requirements.

Hopefully the above gives you a flavour of what these sort of universities are going to be expecting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending