The Student Room Group

what can i do, as a new year 12 student, do to work towards high grades (A/A*)

just started year 12 and these are my subjects: english, physics, computer science, and epq. haven’t been getting much work given out as we’ve just started, but what can i do to start working towards those higher grades (e.g wider reading, reading about topics before and after lessons, practice questions, how much study time i should do after school, what a year 12 A/A* student schedule should look like, things like this please!)
Reply 1
Original post by ilovecats1969
just started year 12 and these are my subjects: english, physics, computer science, and epq. haven’t been getting much work given out as we’ve just started, but what can i do to start working towards those higher grades (e.g wider reading, reading about topics before and after lessons, practice questions, how much study time i should do after school, what a year 12 A/A* student schedule should look like, things like this please!)

The only one I can offer advice on is EPQ, and for that I'd say give a thought to some ideas that you'd maybe like to focus your EPQ on, maybe make a few mind-maps on what you are interested in, consider whether you want it to be a report or an artefact, that sort of thing. It can be on anything, but I'd recommend picking something you're actually really interested in and passionate about, because you'll be working on it for a long time and otherwise you will hate it by the end or end up dropping it. Make it fun for yourself and even if you just have a rough idea for when you start working on it, it will make your life just that bit easier and you won't have to try to come up with anything on the spot. Don't neglect the tasks you're assigned once that starts and start drafting things sooner rather than later once you're at that stage. The most important things in order to do well in your EPQ in my opinion is to keep on top of your log and pending tasks, and also enjoy it!
Reply 2
The best advice I can give would be work on a 9-5 schedule as a strict basis from near start of year 12, and even more as the summer rolls around. As a new year 13 student, I have gone into my new year looking for three A* predicted grades and I am super pleased with the work I have put in that has helped me get this far. Secondly, spend this time effectively, no procrastinating or taking lllooonnnggg breaks (however short breaks is something I would recommend), it will pay off and you have a long time to make this work and I am sure you can.
Reply 3
Original post by aarynmb
The only one I can offer advice on is EPQ, and for that I'd say give a thought to some ideas that you'd maybe like to focus your EPQ on, maybe make a few mind-maps on what you are interested in, consider whether you want it to be a report or an artefact, that sort of thing. It can be on anything, but I'd recommend picking something you're actually really interested in and passionate about, because you'll be working on it for a long time and otherwise you will hate it by the end or end up dropping it. Make it fun for yourself and even if you just have a rough idea for when you start working on it, it will make your life just that bit easier and you won't have to try to come up with anything on the spot. Don't neglect the tasks you're assigned once that starts and start drafting things sooner rather than later once you're at that stage. The most important things in order to do well in your EPQ in my opinion is to keep on top of your log and pending tasks, and also enjoy it!

thank you so much!
Reply 4
Original post by bens23
The best advice I can give would be work on a 9-5 schedule as a strict basis from near start of year 12, and even more as the summer rolls around. As a new year 13 student, I have gone into my new year looking for three A* predicted grades and I am super pleased with the work I have put in that has helped me get this far. Secondly, spend this time effectively, no procrastinating or taking lllooonnnggg breaks (however short breaks is something I would recommend), it will pay off and you have a long time to make this work and I am sure you can.

thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest