The Student Room Group

A-level student: my scientific studies & plans (post 1)

Hi gyg,

I am new to the site but I have been introduced to grow your grades by @emm4nuella. I hope I can inspire or even reassure some of you who may be in the same boat as me (I am by NO means a role model, I do not deal well with stress to say the least 😬.

I am a year 12 student (England) and at A-level I study:
1. AQA Spanish
2. AQA Biology
3. OCR Chemistry
4. EPQ

I would share my predicted grades but it is early doors and so I don’t know them yet!
I still don’t know what I want to do at uni or for a career which, I am not going to lie, scares me a little - even though it is COMPLETELY normal to not know at this stage!! But I know I want to study a science related subject. For a few years I thought about medicine and jumped between different medical professions. First a heart surgeon, then a neurosurgeon, then in urology - a variety if you will haha. I am still very much considering medicine but I have started branching out to forensic science, biochemistry and biological sciences 🧬 or something along the lines.

I am fortunate, in some ways, that none of my family are medics and don’t pressure me or try to persuade me into certain mindsets… however I do sometimes wish I had a helping hand to guide me. Nonetheless I found the student room and have high hopes 😮*💨

I don’t actually know if anyone will read this but it is partly for a bit of fun and in the hopes that I can help someone somehow. I can’t promise regular posts but I will try to keep up with my interactions - good evening 🧪🥼🇪🇸

Sophie

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
heyyy
Original post by Sophie Warman
Hi gyg,

I am new to the site but I have been introduced to grow your grades by @emm4nuella. I hope I can inspire or even reassure some of you who may be in the same boat as me (I am by NO means a role model, I do not deal well with stress to say the least 😬.

1. AQA Spanish
2. AQA Biology
3. OCR Chemistry
4. EPQ

I would share my predicted grades but it is early doors and so I don’t know them yet!
I still don’t know what I want to do at uni or for a career which, I am not going to lie, scares me a little - even though it is COMPLETELY normal to not know at this stage!! But I know I want to study a science related subject. For a few years I thought about medicine and jumped between different medical professions. First a heart surgeon, then a neurosurgeon, then in urology - a variety if you will haha. I am still very much considering medicine but I have started branching out to forensic science, biochemistry and biological sciences 🧬 or something along the lines.

I am fortunate, in some ways, that none of my family are medics and don’t pressure me or try to persuade me into certain mindsets… however I do sometimes wish I had a helping hand to guide me. Nonetheless I found the student room and have high hopes 😮*💨

I don’t actually know if anyone will read this but it is partly for a bit of fun and in the hopes that I can help someone somehow. I can’t promise regular posts but I will try to keep up with my interactions - good evening 🧪🥼🇪🇸

Sophie

hiya Sophie, welcome!! i also do aqa spanish, so feel free to ask me questions! :smile:

i've tagged some people below who might want to check out your blog, and attached is their own for you to have a look at! good luck ❤️

@mynewflossophy: My New Flossophy - Grow your Grades - The Student Room
@dagi1234: Grow your Grades blog 23/24! - The Student Room
@A.2KK: Grade Growth Chronicles | From C's to A's (23-24) - The Student Room
@MP_25: gyg <3 - The Student Room
@ActiveEccentric : 1st Yr's road to a First at good RG, and start PhD, at 19, despite ADHD/ASD/BED - The Student Room
@pineapple1865 : It’s bare minimum time! pineapple1865’s Q2 grind | GYG 2023/24 - The Student Room
@flowersinmyhair: flowersinmyhair's Y13 adventure - The Student Room
@erin11: year 13 study journal // gyg 2023-24 :smile: - The Student Room
@rowan_willow: grow your grades 2023!!!! - The Student Room
@kayleigh_t.27: Motivating myself - my GYG blog :smile: - The Student Room
@thrivingfrog: CleverFrog? ThrivingFrog's A-Level Diary! - The Student Room
@toothysmile: yr13 journal - The Student Room
@Jieay20: Jieay's Year 13 GYG - Actuarial Science applicant (2023/2024) - The Student Room
@oliviapope1 - oliviapope's attempt at getting herself together and smashing her a-levels! - The Student Room
@bbbbbbb87: Aiming for the Stars (GYG 23/24) - The Student Room
Original post by emm4nuella
Hi gyg,

1. AQA Spanish
2. AQA Biology
3. OCR Chemistry
4. EPQ

Sophie

hiya Sophie, welcome!! i also do aqa spanish, so feel free to ask me questions! :smile:

i've tagged some people below who might want to check out your blog, and attached is their own for you to have a look at! good luck ❤️

@mynewflossophy: My New Flossophy - Grow your Grades - The Student Room
@dagi1234: Grow your Grades blog 23/24! - The Student Room
@A.2KK: Grade Growth Chronicles | From C's to A's (23-24) - The Student Room
@MP_25: gyg <3 - The Student Room
@ActiveEccentric : 1st Yr's road to a First at good RG, and start PhD, at 19, despite ADHD/ASD/BED - The Student Room
@pineapple1865 : It’s bare minimum time! pineapple1865’s Q2 grind | GYG 2023/24 - The Student Room
@flowersinmyhair: flowersinmyhair's Y13 adventure - The Student Room
@erin11: year 13 study journal // gyg 2023-24 :smile: - The Student Room
@rowan_willow: grow your grades 2023!!!! - The Student Room
@kayleigh_t.27: Motivating myself - my GYG blog :smile: - The Student Room
@thrivingfrog: CleverFrog? ThrivingFrog's A-Level Diary! - The Student Room
@toothysmile: yr13 journal - The Student Room
@Jieay20: Jieay's Year 13 GYG - Actuarial Science applicant (2023/2024) - The Student Room
@oliviapope1 - oliviapope's attempt at getting herself together and smashing her a-levels! - The Student Room
@bbbbbbb87: Aiming for the Stars (GYG 23/24) - The Student Room

Thanks Emmanuela! It’s greatly appreciated 😁
Reply 4
heyy welcome :smile: i'm in yr13 and also doing OCR chem so if you need something feel free to ask anything <3
Original post by MP_25
heyy welcome :smile: i'm in yr13 and also doing OCR chem so if you need something feel free to ask anything <3

Hi, that’s really kind of you, thank you - I will likely be in contact at some point 😂
Reply 6

Hi, that’s really kind of you, thank you - I will likely be in contact at some point 😂

no problem whatever you need :smile:
not sure how you feel about it rn since i know it's only been a term but i know i definitely found chem pretty hard in yr12, honestly i probably still need to brush up on a bit of older content, but it's def my favourite subject honestly it's rlly interesting and so fun once things start to fully click haha :smile:
Hi gyg,

1. AQA Spanish
2. AQA Biology
3. OCR Chemistry
4. EPQ

Sophie

oh hi i am year 12 and do PE, psychology and biology
I made my own GYG page thread discussion if you would like to join:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7429947&p=99028722&page=1#post99028722
(edited 3 months ago)
Hi,

This platform was a help for me during my a levels. For anyone doing the science, English or maths. @ateamacadrevision on ig have started doing mini summed up topics which are incredibly helpful for a level and gcse. They've just started so the first topic for each are up rn but they're so helpful.

I'd also recommend PMT & MME for A level sciences

If you have any questions do drop me a dm

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Hatekittens12345
Hi,

This platform was a help for me during my a levels. For anyone doing the science, English or maths. @ateamacadrevision on ig have started doing mini summed up topics which are incredibly helpful for a level and gcse. They've just started so the first topic for each are up rn but they're so helpful.

I'd also recommend PMT & MME for A level sciences

If you have any questions do drop me a dm

Hope this helps :smile:

thank you so much, I will most definitely have a look at that ig profile and I agree with you that PMT is a really good resource but I’ve never tried MME but by looking at the website (what I’m doing now) it seems like something I will most certainly use - thanks again! 🙂
Hi, Y13 doing AQA Bio and Chem here, lmk if you need any help/recommendations.

If you're interested in healthcare but not sure what, I recommend looking into Dentistry (the superior healthcare profession 😎) which is what I've applied for. A lot of similar skills to medicine, but arguably better pay, working hours and independence as a professional.

Also recommend some pharmacy work experience, as I did some before starting Y12 and really enjoyed it.
Original post by mynewflossophy
Hi, Y13 doing AQA Bio and Chem here, lmk if you need any help/recommendations.

If you're interested in healthcare but not sure what, I recommend looking into Dentistry (the superior healthcare profession 😎) which is what I've applied for. A lot of similar skills to medicine, but arguably better pay, working hours and independence as a professional.

Also recommend some pharmacy work experience, as I did some before starting Y12 and really enjoyed it.

Thank you so much, I have actually been looking into many healthcare professions and particularly into pharmaceutical work experience because that is highly applicable to both chemistry and biology I feel! I will keep that in mind so thank you again 😀
Thank you so much, I have actually been looking into many healthcare professions and particularly into pharmaceutical work experience because that is highly applicable to both chemistry and biology I feel! I will keep that in mind so thank you again 😀

Glad I could help.

If you live near a Weldricks pharmacy, they were really helpful when I was doing work experience and actually offered me a job at the end.

If you're more interested in synthesis and things like that then maybe look at local companies and send a few emails. Lots of places will say no so you just need to keep trying.

Good luck!!
Reply 13
Hi I’m year 12 too - I do bio chem maths fm - I’m also interested in medicine and have a gyg too 😊

Don’t worry too much about knowing right now - I’d suggest though looking at virtual work experience for medicine to get bit more of a feel for it and also have something there just in case you do apply for it that you’re prepared! There’s a free monthly one on Medic Mentor that’s easy to use.

I was interested in forensic science a while back too. There are so many great places you can go with the biology sector!

I’ll follow your page, it’s nice to see a fellow year 12 gyg
Original post by study23!
Hi I’m year 12 too - I do bio chem maths fm - I’m also interested in medicine and have a gyg too 😊

Don’t worry too much about knowing right now - I’d suggest though looking at virtual work experience for medicine to get bit more of a feel for it and also have something there just in case you do apply for it that you’re prepared! There’s a free monthly one on Medic Mentor that’s easy to use.

I was interested in forensic science a while back too. There are so many great places you can go with the biology sector!

btw just be careful with medic mentor, I've been using it since like y9 and whilst some of it is good, at this point they're just trying to sell their summer school and UCAT/BMAT/whatever else tutoring.

I think they're quite hypocritical as early on they said basically anyone who tries to sell you UCAT/BMAT prep or tutoring is scamming you because you can get enough free resources online, but now a few years later they are constantly promoting their extortionate summer schools and tutoring. I know someone who went on the summer school and didn't get any offers and I don't think she got any interviews either, which for something like £2000 is bad.

If the work experience is helpful then definitely use it, I'm sure it's so much better than the 9am-6pm live ones they used to do which bored me out of doing medicine entirely. Their conferences are okay once. Also don't sign up for their mailing list as I have unsubscribed twice and am still receiving emails about preparing for an application I sent off months ago

For medical work experience it might be a good idea to look on your local NHS trust's website and see if they have an application form.
Reply 15
btw just be careful with medic mentor, I've been using it since like y9 and whilst some of it is good, at this point they're just trying to sell their summer school and UCAT/BMAT/whatever else tutoring.

I think they're quite hypocritical as early on they said basically anyone who tries to sell you UCAT/BMAT prep or tutoring is scamming you because you can get enough free resources online, but now a few years later they are constantly promoting their extortionate summer schools and tutoring. I know someone who went on the summer school and didn't get any offers and I don't think she got any interviews either, which for something like £2000 is bad.

If the work experience is helpful then definitely use it, I'm sure it's so much better than the 9am-6pm live ones they used to do which bored me out of doing medicine entirely. Their conferences are okay once. Also don't sign up for their mailing list as I have unsubscribed twice and am still receiving emails about preparing for an application I sent off months ago

For medical work experience it might be a good idea to look on your local NHS trust's website and see if they have an application form.

Oh my gosh I know right? I get at least 3 emails a week about the summer school - the price is ridiculous for most. And it’s clear they need people to join because a £350 off one time offer comes every month. Thanks for the warning, I’m only sticking to its free things I think. Not to mention their tutoring doesn’t include my exam board and they won’t stop emailing me about it!

They may be the same work experience to be honest 😂 it was clearly filmed before when it was a whole day event but it’s now split in sections. I’m guessing that’s why you’re interested in dentistry instead
Oh my gosh I know right? I get at least 3 emails a week about the summer school - the price is ridiculous for most. And it’s clear they need people to join because a £350 off one time offer comes every month. Thanks for the warning, I’m only sticking to its free things I think. Not to mention their tutoring doesn’t include my exam board and they won’t stop emailing me about it!

They may be the same work experience to be honest 😂 it was clearly filmed before when it was a whole day event but it’s now split in sections. I’m guessing that’s why you’re interested in dentistry instead

As you can probably tell I could do a whole video essay on how much they annoy me😭 I think as a premise it's great but over the years it's just become a way of making money which is sad. Will say the virtual societies have been good the few times I've been free to attend, but they do get students to run it and create the resources (for free, I assume) which seems additionally dodgy.

My interest in dentistry came after this though, I think. I decided that the years and years of training to be a doctor only to have an awful work life balance my entire life was not my vibe, so looked into different healthcare professions instead. I liked pharmacy but it wasn't for me as a career, but I've found true passion and interest in dentistry. I love how it's so patient centred and that dentistry itself is affected by so many personal and socioeconomic factors. Also less gross bodily fluids and less people will die. If you ever start having doubts about medicine, maybe have a look into it or get some experience. Even if you decide it's not for you, it's so so so good for your personal statement and interviews because it proves you've looked at other things and still decided medicine is for you. They really love to hear it.
Reply 17
As you can probably tell I could do a whole video essay on how much they annoy me😭 I think as a premise it's great but over the years it's just become a way of making money which is sad. Will say the virtual societies have been good the few times I've been free to attend, but they do get students to run it and create the resources (for free, I assume) which seems additionally dodgy.

My interest in dentistry came after this though, I think. I decided that the years and years of training to be a doctor only to have an awful work life balance my entire life was not my vibe, so looked into different healthcare professions instead. I liked pharmacy but it wasn't for me as a career, but I've found true passion and interest in dentistry. I love how it's so patient centred and that dentistry itself is affected by so many personal and socioeconomic factors. Also less gross bodily fluids and less people will die. If you ever start having doubts about medicine, maybe have a look into it or get some experience. Even if you decide it's not for you, it's so so so good for your personal statement and interviews because it proves you've looked at other things and still decided medicine is for you. They really love to hear it.

Thanks for the advice! Yes I considered dentistry for a while, especially as it as you said supposedly has a better work life balance. I’m trying to navigate my feelings towards medicine at times, with all of the hardships I’m trying to see if I’m fully accepting them or I’m just denying them for a while saying it will be alright anyway if you get what I mean? I think it’s the former, and I really do want to help people in a person centred job, and I know that comes with sacrifices, but for the past years I’ve been told that I do too many ‘kind’ things at my detriment which I haven’t minded too much as I’ve seen the effect it’s had on others and that makes it feel worth it. I don’t know, it’s tricky deciding what you want to do with your life at 17 😭

I may actually look into some dentistry work experience now though thank you, that should hopefully help me navigate career options a bit better
Thanks for the advice! Yes I considered dentistry for a while, especially as it as you said supposedly has a better work life balance. I’m trying to navigate my feelings towards medicine at times, with all of the hardships I’m trying to see if I’m fully accepting them or I’m just denying them for a while saying it will be alright anyway if you get what I mean? I think it’s the former, and I really do want to help people in a person centred job, and I know that comes with sacrifices, but for the past years I’ve been told that I do too many ‘kind’ things at my detriment which I haven’t minded too much as I’ve seen the effect it’s had on others and that makes it feel worth it. I don’t know, it’s tricky deciding what you want to do with your life at 17 😭

I may actually look into some dentistry work experience now though thank you, that should hopefully help me navigate career options a bit better

I think it just depends where your passion lies. If you love medicine or dentistry so much that you'll do it despite all the hardships then absolutely pursue it, but it's such a massive committment, as you said, to make that choice at 17. Something else I'd suggest is maybe volunteering or working in an environment with challenging people such as in retail, hospitality and youth work. Understanding how you cope with stress, abuse and threats is a good insight, unfortunately, into healthcare professions.

Good luck with your healthcare journey! Sorry Sophie for filling your gyg with careers advice😭

That’s really helpful, thank you, you’re right it would probably be best looking for information form other websites as well as MM so I don’t rely on solely their’s and end up paying more than I need to. Thank you again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending