The Student Room Group

any revision tips for GCSEs?

revision tips for all subjects
Reply 1
Find specific reasources for all subjects from the internet ,make notes from it and ask your teachers for specific advice on your weak areas and work upon it
Original post by anxnyx
revision tips for all subjects

What subjects are you taking for GCSEs?
For Maths I would recommend doing as many practise questions as you can possibly do, and past papers as you get closer to mocks and actual exams.
For Science I would recommend making flashcards and doing as many practise questions as possible.
For English Lang I would recommend doing practise questions and exams and for Lit I would recommend making flashcards for important quotes, essay plans and practise questions.

For GCSEs I also took RS, Music, German and Geography, and I can give more advice for those if you are taking any of them.
Original post by flowersinmyhair
For GCSEs I also took RS, Music, German and Geography, and I can give more advice for those if you are taking any of them.

Can you give some RS advice please
I would say to start revision at the beginning of the school year so that you don't have to revise too much near the end. I also revised whenever I was bored or didn't have anything to do, and installed this app on my phone.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Original post by pacificatlas

For RS you would probably want to do practise questions and making sure you know sources of wisdom and authority by using flashcards. For RS topics in general I would recommend using mind maps.
Reply 6
Original post by flowersinmyhair
What subjects are you taking for GCSEs?
For Maths I would recommend doing as many practise questions as you can possibly do, and past papers as you get closer to mocks and actual exams.
For Science I would recommend making flashcards and doing as many practise questions as possible.
For English Lang I would recommend doing practise questions and exams and for Lit I would recommend making flashcards for important quotes, essay plans and practise questions.

I'm taking geography. Do you have any specific tips for Triple science ( separate sciences) if you did it?
Reply 7
Hi!
I am a 4th year medic and tutor in the subjects mentioned-
What has already been mentioned is amazing advice- starting early gives you so much time towards exam season to revise rather than stay stuck studying. For geography, make your own notes- make sure you have all your case studies mastered. Read them out to people (or your mirror or stuffed toy)... when you reword something you have learnt it does wonders in retaining that knowledge!
Practice exam questions early on- they are so similar to the questions that come up in the real exam and you will know what type of knowledge you are expected to have!

Good luck!!
Original post by anxnyx
I'm taking geography. Do you have any specific tips for Triple science ( separate sciences) if you did it?

For geography one of the most important things is to know your case studies. You need to know information that differentiates the place from any other location. You could do this using flashcards or mindmaps and making sure you do practise questions as well. I did do separate science, make sure you know your formulae especially for chemistry and physics. Practise questions are also very important.
Reply 9
Someone please help me with Eduqas Route B religious studies !!
It has little to no revision resources
Does anyone do the same board

Original post by pacificatlas
Reply 10
Original post by supergrad
Hi!
I am a 4th year medic and tutor in the subjects mentioned-
What has already been mentioned is amazing advice- starting early gives you so much time towards exam season to revise rather than stay stuck studying. For geography, make your own notes- make sure you have all your case studies mastered. Read them out to people (or your mirror or stuffed toy)... when you reword something you have learnt it does wonders in retaining that knowledge!
Practice exam questions early on- they are so similar to the questions that come up in the real exam and you will know what type of knowledge you are expected to have!

Good luck!!

Which GCSE'S and A levels did you take ? it would be helpful if you could say it ..thanks
i am aspiring to be a doctor too x
Original post by Alm_xo
Which GCSE'S and A levels did you take ? it would be helpful if you could say it ..thanks
i am aspiring to be a doctor too x

I took the usual Triple science, English Lit/Lang, Maths and additional maths, then also Business studies, Computing, Geography... I think that was it and a language. For A-level I took physics, chemistry, biology, Maths and further Maths and a language- my school allowed me but I do not recommend it- it is too cruel and a waste of time in the long run.

Take the subjects you need for Medicine and an additional subject you enjoy!

Good luck on your journey!
Reply 12
Damn you are so smart lol
my school only lets me take 3 extra gcses (RS is compulsary)
I think i am just going to take physics , chem , biology and maybe maths idk ( as of now as a y9 student its kinda hard but am in set 1 so i will improve over time i guess) - A level subjects

Original post by supergrad
I took the usual Triple science, English Lit/Lang, Maths and additional maths, then also Business studies, Computing, Geography... I think that was it and a language. For A-level I took physics, chemistry, biology, Maths and further Maths and a language- my school allowed me but I do not recommend it- it is too cruel and a waste of time in the long run.

Take the subjects you need for Medicine and an additional subject you enjoy!

Good luck on your journey!
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Alm_xo
Damn you are so smart lol
my school only lets me take 3 extra gcses (RS is compulsary)
I think i am just going to take physics , chem , biology and maybe maths idk ( as of now as a y9 student its kinda hard but am in set 1 so i will improve over time i guess) - A level subjects

I could have been wiser- I advise against too many subjects based on my journey- I am grateful for it though.
It is great to see you have some subjects in mind- look at your strengths over the next few years and choose the subjects that has the most to offer.

Quick Reply

Latest