The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher English Dissertation question- never let me go

Hi, I'm really struggling in picking and actually coming up with an idea on what to write my dissertation on.

Currently, one of the books I have chosen in Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I think the whole clone thing is really interesting, its pairing it I'm having trouble with. Now I'm thinking I may have to rethink my book choice.

My teacher says you should try and find a new angle to argue on the books you choose. Does anyone have any ideas on a pair for NLMG and/or something I could write on?
Reply 1
replying to bump the thread.
Hi! I'm definitely not qualified to give tips as I didn't take AH English this year. I was highly considering it though :'D Good luck with everything!

When I was thinking of dissertation ideas (in the dim and distant past of planning to take the subject), I'd go and read the reviews that people left about the book that I wanted to compare things to! Avid readers often compare books to others instinctively~ :h: I'd then go and list down all the books they compared mine to and what topics they mentioned with regard to it!
The first review on here ---> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6334.Never_Let_Me_Go, for example, does exactly that for your book!

*It sounds like an interesting read btw?? :O What are the other main themes that you like about the book?
(Listing down all the themes that the book glosses over is always a good start too!! )

Anyway, hope this helps!... Hopefully, a more experienced and knowledgeable AHEng person comes along and helps you out better ehe~
I wish you all the best with your "new-angle" finding!!! ( ˊᵕˋ )♡.°⑅ Let me know how you get on!!
Reply 2
Hi!

Funny enough I'm also doing Never Let Me Go for my AH portfolio this year and I am comparing it to Ishiguro's Klara and the Sun. My question atm is the theme of morality displayed through characterisation. However, through research so far I am considering changing my question to focus more on themes on mortality, autonomy and the threat of artificial intelligence etc.

Let me know if I can help in any other ways!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending