The Student Room Group

considering advanced english

so i’m in s5 and recently got my prelims back and it was a fairly mixed bag but i’m pretty happy considering i didn’t really study for them. biggest win was probably an A in english getting bang on 70%. with picking subjects around the corner, advanced english is something i’m considering. anyone that’s done it, how did you find it and do you have any book recommendations as i haven’t been doing as much reading as i used to years ago and i’ll need to get back into it again if i’m gonna take it lol. i’m considering getting blood meridian cause i’ve heard great things and think it may be a good one for a dissertation. i also loved the no country for old men movie so will probably get the book for that as well (written by same author). thank you!
Im in exactly the same position I took AH English and have just got bang on 70% in my higher prelim and am considering swapping too AH Modarn. But I’m also not too sure what the course would entail.
Reply 2
Original post by shhdhshdggdgd
so i’m in s5 and recently got my prelims back and it was a fairly mixed bag but i’m pretty happy considering i didn’t really study for them. biggest win was probably an A in english getting bang on 70%. with picking subjects around the corner, advanced english is something i’m considering. anyone that’s done it, how did you find it and do you have any book recommendations as i haven’t been doing as much reading as i used to years ago and i’ll need to get back into it again if i’m gonna take it lol. i’m considering getting blood meridian cause i’ve heard great things and think it may be a good one for a dissertation. i also loved the no country for old men movie so will probably get the book for that as well (written by same author). thank you!

Im in S6 doing AH English right now! It’s good, but different. You’ll do a folio piece and dissertation which should get you around 40-50% of your grade, and then you’ll have a critical essay and textual analysis essay in the exam (an essay on a piece of text you haven’t seen before).

For dissertation don’t worry too much, in our school we pick two texts to compare but it might be different in other schools. Biggest difference is harsher marking and no Scottish text.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending