The Student Room Group

Crashing Higher Business Management? Opinions?

So I got my course choice booklet today, and fortunately I can take all the advanced highers I was wanting to take (Maths, Graph Comm and Art), but I couldn't take Higher Computing because, like last year, my school are still not running it, and I also can't take Product Design which I was thinking about taking because both the columns it's in collide with the subjects im taking in advance higher.

So there's really not much else I can do, but we need to take 4 subjects. So I'm thinking about crashing Higher Business Management? I generally have quite an interest in business (ie. I enjoy games like TS2 Open for Business, Tycoon games, etc) so I think I'd enjoy it and be good at it.

But I need opinions. Do you think it is easy enough to crash? Also, what is it like compared to other higher subjects? I crashed Higher Mod. Stud. this year, and let me tell you, along with Higher English, it's been the bane of my life. Haha. There's just so damn much you need to learn and know and I'm never confident with it. (I got a B in both subjects in the prelims though).

So what do you think? Crash Higher Bus. Man? Yes or no?
Lol, I don't think TS2 Open for Business will be adequate preparation for Higher Business. I've never personally done it but I guess it would be quite varied in topics, although I know that one guy I know that is doing Bus Man is doing financial stuff like accounting and stuff like that :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by chr1stopher11
Lol, I don't think TS2 Open for Business will be adequate preparation for Higher Business. I've never personally done it but I guess it would be quite varied in topics, although I know that one guy I know that is doing Bus Man is doing financial stuff like accounting and stuff like that :smile:

Hahaha. Well it's just an example of how business interests me. I coulda equally said I like the Apprentice and whatnot. :L
Original post by McWolf
Hahaha. Well it's just an example of how business interests me. I coulda equally said I like the Apprentice and whatnot. :L

:biggrin: I must admit I do like both the Apprentice and TS2 Open for Business (I'd like it even more if it was for TS3! :biggrin:)

This website gives a breakdown of the course, which might be of interest to you:

http://www.learningatschool.net/PlainText/PlainText.aspx?SectionId=7ffbe619-d5de-4a13-93f3-46a2c99ec3aa
Reply 4
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
It's a fairly straightforward and easy subject. It covers types of businesses, sources of finance, financial ratios, marketing and departments and their structures. You just have a lot of theory and content to learn, but once you've got around the main topics, it should really be no problem. I would place Higher Modern Studies and Higher English as significantly more difficult, in content and work, than Higher Business.

I recommend investing in this book.

I agree with everything in this post. Including investing in the recommended book.

Higher Modern Studies and Higher English are much more difficult but with Higher Business, you still need to learn A LOT of material but if you seem to be coping well with the previous 2 subjects then you should be fine with business, especially if you have an interest in it. You'll also need to learn the command words in the exam questions if you want a good grade (ie. discuss, outline, explain, compare and contrast, etc) as they all require a different way of answering a question.
Reply 5
Thanks guys. As much as I hate the thought of having to learn tons again like I have for Standard Grade History, Higher Modern Studies, etc. I guess it is really my only option anyhow. :L

I'm sure it will be enjoyable enough as you say. And also considering my only other subjects with exams will be advanced Maths and Graph Comm, I guess I need one of these knowledge based subjects to revise for. haha.

But thanks for your help. :smile:
Reply 6
I'm gonna be blatently honest: I'm crashing business management this year and am finding it awful. Pretty certain I'm going to fail the exam on Wednesday. If you are going to do it, make sure you do extra work at home so you understand it. I've not got a clue hahaa.
Reply 7
Oh dear. Looks like I'm in for a smashing good time. Hope your exam goes better than you think. :smile:
Reply 8
I'm crashing it this year and i've been getting A's the whole year, you just need to put a lot of work in and actually enjoy the subject and you'll do fine :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by roxanneleah
I'm crashing it this year and i've been getting A's the whole year, you just need to put a lot of work in and actually enjoy the subject and you'll do fine :smile:

Thank you. :smile: I hope that is the case. But I'm sure I'll be find with it considering I won't have English and Modern Studies to pull me down. hehe
Original post by roxanneleah

How did you manage to catch up? I'm going to crash higher business in s5 and i rlly don't wanna fail

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending