The Student Room Group

Looking for a flat as a student?

Hi there,

So, as a short background, I'm currently in my first year of uni and I'm staying in an accommodation. As I expected, it's not for me. Nobody cleans the kitchen and it's just disgusting. I'm an introvert who likes to have my own space and so I was thinking of trying to rent even the tiniest flat for my 2nd year. I don't have a job atm (I'm trying to get one but it is a struggle), but I'm planning on getting a summer job to save up as much as I can, I get a high maintenance loan and I'll have some savings, so I feel like it's doable.

My main question, however, is when should I start looking for a place to rent? Some people say they started looking at places over the summer and they were just fine and others say I should start looking right now. Does anyone have any experience with that? I was also wondering what are my chances of renting a place all by myself as a second year student? How do landlords look at that?

I'd really appreciate some suggestions and/or sharing your own experiences :,)

Thanks!
Original post by j3lly_f1sh
Hi there,

So, as a short background, I'm currently in my first year of uni and I'm staying in an accommodation. As I expected, it's not for me. Nobody cleans the kitchen and it's just disgusting. I'm an introvert who likes to have my own space and so I was thinking of trying to rent even the tiniest flat for my 2nd year. I don't have a job atm (I'm trying to get one but it is a struggle), but I'm planning on getting a summer job to save up as much as I can, I get a high maintenance loan and I'll have some savings, so I feel like it's doable.

My main question, however, is when should I start looking for a place to rent? Some people say they started looking at places over the summer and they were just fine and others say I should start looking right now. Does anyone have any experience with that? I was also wondering what are my chances of renting a place all by myself as a second year student? How do landlords look at that?

Thanks!

Does your uni have any studios that they rent to 2nd/3rd years? Also search for private student accommodation providers like Student Roost and Unite.
Hi there,

Thanks!

Hi @j3lly_f1sh ,

It can be hard moving in with people you don't know and not everybody is good at keeping things clean. If you like having your own space and you think you would enjoy your uni experience more if you lived on your own, this sounds like it would be a good idea.
I'm not sure if the city that you live in is on uni homes but this is a really good website to find student houses. Options for one bedroom places can be limited but you may as well have a look! It's easy and all bills are included so it's a good option. Houses are available now so it's not too early to look if this is definitely what you want to do.

You could also think about sharing with one other person? Just to make it a bit cheaper and there might be more options available to you. Or a studio flat in a student accommodation may be a good idea too.

I hope this helps!
Lucy - SHU student ambassador.
Hi there,

Thanks!

Hey!
First off, I totally understand your concerns about accommodation it's crucial to find a living situation that suits your preferences. Moving to your own place can be a great idea, especially if you value having your own space.

In terms of when to start looking for a place, it really depends on the rental market in your area. Generally, it's a good idea to start exploring options early, especially in university towns where housing can be in high demand. Some students do start their search over the summer, and that can work well, but starting now to get a sense of what's available and to familiarize yourself with the local rental market is also a good strategy. This way, you can get a feel for the types of properties available, their prices, and potentially even meet with landlords or agents.

As for renting a place by yourself, it's definitely possible, but landlords may have varying preferences and requirements. Some may prefer to rent to groups of students, while others may be open to individual tenants. It's a good idea to be transparent with potential landlords about your situation, including your high maintenance loan and summer job plans. Having a financial plan in place and showing that you're responsible can make you a more appealing tenant.
In terms of personal experiences, it might be helpful to connect with older students or student services at your university. They can provide insights into the local rental scene and offer valuable tips on the best times to start your search.

Good luck with your housing search, and feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Student Ambassador
University of Southampton
Hi there,

Thanks!

Hi there,

I would say that the earlier you can start looking the better. It is important to look as early as you can because it means there will be more options that work for you.

I hope this helps

Ellen
Uni of Sunderland

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending