The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to Trinity?

Hello, I will be applying to Cambridge this year for maths, however I am still floating between the college I will be applying for. The one I would most want to go, but the one I am equally concerned about is Trinity. It is by far my favourite college, and has a strong mathematical community, but I have heard it is difficult to get into by Cambridge standards, and I heard a big thing for them is Olympiads, which I have done, but not greatly. I have a lot of strong things to put on my statement, and I believe in any other college I would probably fair a good chance, but I have heard Trinity is on a whole other level. I was wondering if I would be more likely to be pooled/rejected if I applied there (At current, the list goes Trinity, T. Hall, G&C, Peterhouse in terms of the ones I like the most)
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I will be applying to Cambridge this year for maths, however I am still floating between the college I will be applying for. The one I would most want to go, but the one I am equally concerned about is Trinity. It is by far my favourite college, and has a strong mathematical community, but I have heard it is difficult to get into by Cambridge standards, and I heard a big thing for them is Olympiads, which I have done, but not greatly. I have a lot of strong things to put on my statement, and I believe in any other college I would probably fair a good chance, but I have heard Trinity is on a whole other level. I was wondering if I would be more likely to be pooled/rejected if I applied there (At current, the list goes Trinity, T. Hall, G&C, Peterhouse in terms of the ones I like the most)

Trinity would be more likely to reject you - by quite a lot. This is because they have such a high number of applicants they can't interview a lot of applicants who would get interviews elsewhere, and so anyone with a weaker paper application might not even get the chance to prove themselves at interview.
Reply 2
Original post by Theloniouss
Trinity would be more likely to reject you - by quite a lot. This is because they have such a high number of applicants they can't interview a lot of applicants who would get interviews elsewhere, and so anyone with a weaker paper application might not even get the chance to prove themselves at interview.

Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate the advice. It is true, the higher number may just mean that could cause me to get rejected, and my goal is Cambridge in general over Trinity specifically, so best avoid that. Would smaller colleges have the opposite issue? Meaning because they get so few applicants, each one faces more scrutiny? As I was thinking T. Hall for my second choice, but I was thinking that might make it potentially risky to apply for due to the aforementioned scrutiny on each applicant.
Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate the advice. It is true, the higher number may just mean that could cause me to get rejected, and my goal is Cambridge in general over Trinity specifically, so best avoid that. Would smaller colleges have the opposite issue? Meaning because they get so few applicants, each one faces more scrutiny? As I was thinking T. Hall for my second choice, but I was thinking that might make it potentially risky to apply for due to the aforementioned scrutiny on each applicant.

No, not at all. This issue essentially only exists for Maths at Trinity and Computer Science at Churchill (possibly other combinations). The issue is worse for maths at Trinity because they really don't care about applicants. Every other college will be the same.
Reply 4

The Maths Admissions Guide says that "All Colleges like to interview all realistic applicants" but Trinity does seem to be an exception because they receive a vast number of good candidates. My son took the view that he would apply where he wanted to go (but not Trinity - too risky) and if he got pooled then so be it. If you like the look of Trinity Hall, go for it, and best of luck with your application. The Admissions Stats are interesting to look at as you can see whether colleges give to the pool or take from it (or both): https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

Whilst yes it's definitely good to avoid the most oversubscribed colleges like trinity for maths, one thing to think about is smaller colleges often accept fewer students and also draw more from the winter pool. As an example, Murray Edwards gave 21 offers for maths in 2022 whilst only having 27 applicants, which would seem like around an 80% success rate. However, in reality only 6 of the offers given were to students who directly applied to the college, with the rest given to students from the winter pool, so the acceptance rate for applicants who directly applied to the college that year was actually just as low as trinity that year, around 20%. So don't try and "game the system" by applying to "smaller" colleges thinking it'd make you more likely to get in, apply to one you like, although it's definitely an idea not to apply to majorly oversubscribed colleges. If you genuinely like trinity hall as a place to apply to then yeah, apply there, why not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending