The Student Room Group

Thoughts on my IB subject choices?

HL Biology
HL English Lang Lit
HL Global Politics

SL Economics
SL Maths AI
SL Spanish Ab initio

I'm not sure what I want to do at uni but probably something more humanities/social sciences related. I've thought about doing some interdisciplinary courses as well.

I'm mainly wondering about my Econ SL and Bio HL. Should I swap the SL and HL? I didn't do Econ in GCSE so I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy the course.
Reply 1
Original post by calamansi
HL Biology
HL English Lang Lit
HL Global Politics

SL Economics
SL Maths AI
SL Spanish Ab initio

I'm not sure what I want to do at uni but probably something more humanities/social sciences related. I've thought about doing some interdisciplinary courses as well.

I'm mainly wondering about my Econ SL and Bio HL. Should I swap the SL and HL? I didn't do Econ in GCSE so I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy the course.

If you don’t need biology for university don’t take HL. Economics would be a much better choice if you want to apply for social sciences. Though if you’re good at biology and know you will enjoy the extra work you should go for it, just beware you would be adding yourself extra work you don’t really need.
Reply 2
Unis usually only specify two subject at HL - and for many Social Science subjects (including Law) there are often either no subject requirements at all or only 'one essay based subject'. Most will just want 'overall IB points'.

Have a look at this degree list from Sussex Uni and look at the IB requirements for any subject that appeals to you - https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending