The Student Room Group

should i take 7 subjects in ib?

Im currently in MYP5. Top of my class. Im hoping to study medicine in the near future but I havent decided on the specific university or the country yet. Some unis require all 3 sciences and that would be an issue for me. I do not know if I can handle all 7 subjects but I also dont know of any other options. Id appreciate any insight or advice. THANK YOU! :smile:
I doubt most IBDP providers would even let you do that.

In any event, in the UK you don't get "bonus points" doing extra subjects so this would be totally pointless. More than that you'd run the risk of burning out and/or spreading yourself too thin and not getting the grades you need in the normal IBDP anyway.

Why is it that wannabe medical students always think they can somehow game the system by just doing "more" than everyone else? The idea of distinguishing themselves through quality and not quantity never seems to crop up in these threads, year after year.
Reply 2
Original post by N1N4
Im currently in MYP5. Top of my class. Im hoping to study medicine in the near future but I havent decided on the specific university or the country yet. Some unis require all 3 sciences and that would be an issue for me. I do not know if I can handle all 7 subjects but I also dont know of any other options. Id appreciate any insight or advice. THANK YOU! :smile:

IB is same as A levels but international I think , but it's important to note that the maximum number of subjects an average person can handle is between three and four. Attempting to take on five subjects is simply crazy, and even more so with seven. It's crucial to prioritize quality over quantity to ensure success and avoid burnout.
Original post by Alm_xo
IB is same as A levels but international I think , but it's important to note that the maximum number of subjects an average person can handle is between three and four. Attempting to take on five subjects is simply crazy, and even more so with seven. It's crucial to prioritize quality over quantity to ensure success and avoid burnout.

That is not at all how IB works. I know, I did the IBDP.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger

thanks for letting me know , i appreciate it
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger

what i was trying to say though was 7 subjects was a bit too much ..
Original post by Alm_xo
what i was trying to say though was 7 subjects was a bit too much ..

I mean you are right, although it's not quite as over the top as you were thinking :smile:

IB students normally do 6 subjects by default. 3 are at higher level (HL) and similar to A-levels, 3 are at standard level (SL), possibly comparable to the old AS level.

Doing a 7th is definitely a fair bit of work on top of things (and for no reason in the OPs case) but not quite like doing more than double the workload of an A-level student!
Reply 7
Original post by N1N4

The only medical schools that ask for ALL THREE HL Sciences are in India and Sweden. It's an irregular diploma. Your school would be used to asking IBO for approval for students pursuing Medicine. The only people who need to be discussing with you about your subject choices are your MYP Science teachers who need to support your choice for Medicine and also your IB Coordinator who need to approve it before submitting to IBO.

If you are not limited to India or Sweden, I would not recommend you to take 3 HL Sciences. 2 HL Sciences are already hard as they are. Work smart and aim for the medical schools that you would be happy attending, instead of doing 3 HL Sciences to "keep options open". IB HL Sciences are nothing like MYP. MYP is EASY. Please know that you have internal coursework for IB Subjects called Internal Assessments and to do well in them, you need to do primary research, and they are tedious. I did HL Chemistry (7), HL Biology (7) and HL Psychology (7) to read Psychology at university. For Medicine, the "favourite" HL combination at my school were HL Chemistry, HL Biology and HL Math AA.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending