The Student Room Group

Faded self harm scars on a medical student

TW

hi all I’m a medical student and I’m about to go on placement. I have self harm scars on my left arm from when I was a teenager (I’m in a better place now and I’m 2 years clean), they have faded significantly and most of them are not raised, but if you look closely you can definitely see them. I always wear long sleeves, but w the bare under the elbows rule, I have to roll up my sleeves on placement. I’m concerned about a patient seeing them when I’m doing an examination. It is unlikely as they have faded, but I’m still worried about this, in case a patient asks about them or if I’m examining a child and they ask me. I was wondering if anyone else has been in this position before or if anyone has any advice. Thanks
I'm in the same boat and it has never been an issue. Have never had any patients, including kids, ask. You'll be fine.
Original post by Anonymous
TW

hi all I’m a medical student and I’m about to go on placement. I have self harm scars on my left arm from when I was a teenager (I’m in a better place now and I’m 2 years clean), they have faded significantly and most of them are not raised, but if you look closely you can definitely see them. I always wear long sleeves, but w the bare under the elbows rule, I have to roll up my sleeves on placement. I’m concerned about a patient seeing them when I’m doing an examination. It is unlikely as they have faded, but I’m still worried about this, in case a patient asks about them or if I’m examining a child and they ask me. I was wondering if anyone else has been in this position before or if anyone has any advice. Thanks

I’m not a med student or anything but I had a blood test a few weeks ago and the guy that did it for me had noticeable ones and was wearing short sleeves. I wouldn’t worry
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest