The Student Room Group

Work experience

Hi.ive just started Year 12. I'm wanting to study Optometry at University. I'm wanting to know should I apply for work experience at an Opticians in Year 12 or 13?
Reply 1
Start in year 12. You will barely have any time to do any work experience in year and you will have to spend a lot of time revising. I suggest you start as soon as possible because you will be swamped in work in just a few months time.
Reply 2
Ok thanks for replying. Really appreciate it.how long should I do it for? Is there a minimum or max period?
Reply 3
Original post by Kaz2103
Ok thanks for replying. Really appreciate it.how long should I do it for? Is there a minimum or max period?

I think maybe a couple of days to a week would be fine, there is no maximum period. What really matters is what you learn from it and how the skills and experience you gained can help you in your desired career. I suggest keeping a notebook of any work experience or shadowing you do and you should also use the gibbs reflective cycle to help you reflect on your experience.
Reply 4
What is gibbs reflective cycle?
Reply 5
Original post by Kaz2103
What is gibbs reflective cycle?

gibbs reflective cycle is basically a model that helps you describe an experience through 6 stages: description, feelings, evaluation, analysis, conclusion and action plan. Look through this website for more information on the gibbs cycle and it also has some examples :smile:

https://www.assignmentdesk.co.uk/blog/gibbs-reflective-cycle#:~:text=Example%20of%20Gibbs%20model%20of,in%20the%20assignment%20as%20is.

Quick Reply

Latest