The Student Room Group

Still cant choose between medicine and dentistry?

I was really set on medicine, but i’ve now been struggling since summer whether dentistry could be a better option and i’m still so stuck 😵*💫 I know it’s my choice to make but wondering if anyone has any opinions?? I enjoyed my dentistry work experience more, but this was in a private practice & the dentist was really nice - I wasn’t really super interested in the procedures tbh, although it was mostly cleanings & fillings. My medicine work experience was mostly awful because of the doctors I met, a lot of them were stressed and barely even spoke to me. One straight up told me he didn’t have time for students🥲 Although the surgeon was very nice and I really enjoyed being in the surgery room (orthopaedics), which made me consider dentistry as it’s almost a surgical path. Also half the doctors also told me to consider dentistry which threw me off a bit.

Dentistry:
PROS
- can have my own business
- hands on, mini surgeries
- could always move into maxfax
- less / more social able hours
- less responsibility and stress
CONS
- physically quite demanding
- not as interesting to spend 5 years learning about

Medicine

PROS
- much more varied- bound to find a speciality i enjoy
- more interesting
- more invasive and interesting surgeries
CONS
- lots of responsibility - stressful
- more / less sociable hours
Reply 1
Original post by lkjhgfdsazxcvbnm
I was really set on medicine, but i’ve now been struggling since summer whether dentistry could be a better option and i’m still so stuck 😵*💫 I know it’s my choice to make but wondering if anyone has any opinions?? I enjoyed my dentistry work experience more, but this was in a private practice & the dentist was really nice - I wasn’t really super interested in the procedures tbh, although it was mostly cleanings & fillings. My medicine work experience was mostly awful because of the doctors I met, a lot of them were stressed and barely even spoke to me. One straight up told me he didn’t have time for students🥲 Although the surgeon was very nice and I really enjoyed being in the surgery room (orthopaedics), which made me consider dentistry as it’s almost a surgical path. Also half the doctors also told me to consider dentistry which threw me off a bit.

Dentistry:
PROS
- can have my own business
- hands on, mini surgeries
- could always move into maxfax
- less / more social able hours
- less responsibility and stress
CONS
- physically quite demanding
- not as interesting to spend 5 years learning about

Medicine

PROS
- much more varied- bound to find a speciality i enjoy
- more interesting
- more invasive and interesting surgeries
CONS
- lots of responsibility - stressful
- more / less sociable hours

If you're more interested in medicine, do medicine! The only thing stopping you is your work experience, who are not all doctors and probably just the ones you met. Medicine is also more varied so you can do a lot more with the degree if your interests change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending