The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

fifth UCAS option imperial college

Hi all
My son applied for dentistry course at 4 universities via UCAS of course. He left the fifth option blank for now. Because his UCAT is around average there is a possibility he may not get interviews so the plan is to do chemistry and medicinal chemistry course at Imperial college . I am just wondering first when the time is right to apply between now and January i.e, shall he wait to get the four dentistry rejections ? secondly, will the imperial college being a prestigious place expect a new PS that refer to their course and will not accept to be fifth option dentistry based PS ? My son has A*AA for Biology,chemistry and Math respectively and he will be a good scientist if he ended going this route.
Regards
Maz
Original post by mass63
Hi all
My son applied for dentistry course at 4 universities via UCAS of course. He left the fifth option blank for now. Because his UCAT is around average there is a possibility he may not get interviews so the plan is to do chemistry and medicinal chemistry course at Imperial college . I am just wondering first when the time is right to apply between now and January i.e, shall he wait to get the four dentistry rejections ? secondly, will the imperial college being a prestigious place expect a new PS that refer to their course and will not accept to be fifth option dentistry based PS ? My son has A*AA for Biology,chemistry and Math respectively and he will be a good scientist if he ended going this route.
Regards
Maz

Hello, good question! Does your son have an Early Entries coordinator at his school? If so it would be great to discuss this with them as they can suggest what steps to take. I don't know the exact deadline for early entry applications as my school has many different internal deadlines.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by mass63
Hi all
Regards
Maz

I’m a student at imperial and most who study here are predicted all A* with many doing 4 A-levels so it is very tough to get in and competition is fierce even when you have top predictions majority don’t get in.
Reply 3
Original post by mass63
Hi all
Regards
Maz

Only one PS is allowed ...
Reply 4
Hi all
First many thanks for your advice. I can see the admissions rate is 10 for every 80 so it is obvious the course is very competitive. My question is when to apply; shall he upload new PS for the imperial course if and when he does not get in dentistry which is slim chance because of his avarage UCAT, as long as it is before deadline in January 2024? I think it should be allowed for a student to like two subjects and should not be dismissed of choosing one slightly than the other.
chemistry is not a very competitive degree and medicinal chemistry is a relatively common 5th choice for med applicants - especially if he's included a lot of science in his ps it should be fine

maybe less of a "safe option" but i would go for it
Reply 6
Original post by mass63
Hi all
First many thanks for your advice. I can see the admissions rate is 10 for every 80 so it is obvious the course is very competitive. My question is when to apply; shall he upload new PS for the imperial course if and when he does not get in dentistry which is slim chance because of his avarage UCAT, as long as it is before deadline in January 2024? I think it should be allowed for a student to like two subjects and should not be dismissed of choosing one slightly than the other.

He cannot upload a “new” PS as only one is allowed for all 5 choices, and it cannot be changed once submitted.
He can apply for a fifth choice before the deadline.
Imperial Chemistry course is more competitive than many medical courses, so it is definitely not a safety option.
Original post by mass63
Hi all
Regards
Maz

Hey a friend of mine applied for medicine at 4 unis and chose Imperial med chem as a 5th option. She was predicted 4 A*s (bio, chem, English lit, and EPQ) and got a rejection. Unlike other unis, they won't even ask for a new PS. I applied to Manchester as 5th choice (biomed) and was asked for a new PS. Might want to consider Kings instead (they are known to take med/dentistry candidates w/o a new PS)
Reply 8
Original post by Tulipbloom
Hey a friend of mine applied for medicine at 4 unis and chose Imperial med chem as a 5th option. She was predicted 4 A*s (bio, chem, English lit, and EPQ) and got a rejection. Unlike other unis, they won't even ask for a new PS. I applied to Manchester as 5th choice (biomed) and was asked for a new PS. Might want to consider Kings instead (they are known to take med/dentistry candidates w/o a new PS)

did she even get an interview?
Original post by preena9753
did she even get an interview?

No

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending