The Student Room Group

GCSE English Speaking Exam

Should my GCSE english language-speaking topic be unique and original? I have a decent topic but many people are picking the same one as mine and am scared it might be hard for me to stand out and get a distinction. Please could someone give me a list of original and interesting topics in case I have to change mine? Thanks!
Original post by VoiidDev
Should my GCSE english language-speaking topic be unique and original? I have a decent topic but many people are picking the same one as mine and am scared it might be hard for me to stand out and get a distinction. Please could someone give me a list of original and interesting topics in case I have to change mine? Thanks!

Hi @VoiidDev

I remember feeling like this when choosing my speaking topic. I found the best presentations were ones that were either personal to the student and you could clearly see that the student was genuinely interested in what they were saying.

I would try not to compare your work to your classmates - and I know this is easier said than done - but whether you have the same topic or not, you will all have different research and ways of delivering your presentations.

The topic you choose may be chosen by other students but you can still make it unique to you. Is there a specific angle or subtopic you can focus on? Is there a way to look at the topic from another perspective different to your own opinions? I also found it useful to add in some conversational elements to my speech, for example, I added in some light humour and rhetorical questions to keep my audience interested.

I hope this helps you out and please feel free to ask any more questions.
Best of luck,
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 2
Original post by VoiidDev

I would advise a strong topic that is unique, utilise a LOT of high grade vocabulary.

Examples I narrowed down when I did my one
Should UK police be armed?
Are strikes effective?
Should harassing protestors be punished?
Reply 3
Original post by vorralix
I would advise a strong topic that is unique, utilise a LOT of high grade vocabulary.

Examples I narrowed down when I did my one
Should UK police be armed?
Are strikes effective?
Should harassing protestors be punished?

most people ive spoken to (including teachers) have said that choosing sm political is difficult to get a distinction in. im currently doing my speaking exam next week and havent even chosen a topic to speak about, im stuck asf lol.
Reply 4
Original post by shaimaa.09
most people ive spoken to (including teachers) have said that choosing sm political is difficult to get a distinction in. im currently doing my speaking exam next week and havent even chosen a topic to speak about, im stuck asf lol.

That’s not true! I think the distinction comes from having a topic that is challenging which some political issues are! I did mine on war crimes and western hypocrisy and know someone who did theirs on abortion: we both got a distinction. Ultimately, lots of topics are political: just choose what you feel most comfortable with! What would you want to talk about? What in the world makes you feel strong emotions? What enrages you? What would you talk about if you had the world listening?

Quick Reply

Latest