The Student Room Group

English Oracy speech

can someone grade this please?

How to fail your English GCSE-updated guide 2024

To fail or not to fail? That is the question. Today, I will be teaching each and every one of you how to fail your English GCSE presentation, the benefits being that if you do the complete opposite of everything that I tell you to do, that’s the COMPLETE opposite now, you will be sure to succeed. Welcome to my presentation on how to fail your English Oracy GCSE updated guide, 2024.

Let’s get to it! The first most important rule to failing any exam is so obvious that you’re probably wondering, ‘why is he even telling us this’ or ‘Skip that let’s get to the important parts. However, I assure you with 100% certainty that this is the easiest and most efficient way to fail your exam. Rule 1: Don’t show up to school on the day of your exam. True, this applies to all exams and not just your English Oracy exam but that shows its efficiency. On the not-so-rare occasion that your parents send you to school on the day of the exam because they care about your education or something silly like that, hide on campus and hope that the school doesn’t realize that something’s off and send a bunch of teachers to look for you or have Mr O'Sullivan check the security cameras. Trust me. You do not want Mr O'Sullivan checking the security cameras!

The second most important rule to failing your English Oracy exam is to not speak. In year 6, the teacher, Mrs. Evans wanted us all to write a speech on quantum physics. As you can guess , my former 11 year old-self refused and didn’t say a word. Who on earth did she think she was? Getting us to talk about something that no year 11 should know about. Anyway, I completely failed that task and wasn’t even given a level which I thought was completely unfair as the topic chosen was definitely not year 6 material. Back to my point, the minute you start speaking, it’s game over. However, that being said, you could speak about random things that have absolutely no correlation to the topics given and fail that way. But there’s no fun in that. Not unless you use words like ducks and bubble. One question, Did you know that the words duck and bubble are in the top 2% of words that catch people’s attention? Bet you didn’t. Point aside, While we’re on the subject of lively, fun and interesting words (like duck and bubble), this brings about another obviously important point. If you really want to fail, avoid lively, fun and interesting words. SHOW NO ENTHUSIASM. Interesting words pique people’s attention and we don’t want that as it would be the start to a successful presentation. At this point you may be wondering, ok then, if I can’t use fun words what words should I use? Personally, i would use boring words like grey, brick and rock.

Coming to the last part of my instructional speech, another key principle to remember if you want to fail, is to keep a monotone voice throughout your speech. WJEC have clearly stated on their lovely website that half of your marks are due to the quality of your language and self-expression. So, if you start to speak like a robot then there is absolutely no way that the teacher can award you marks for self-expression let alone the quality of your language. However, if they do award you marks then be assured it is out of pity and not because you did well. DO NOT stay still when delivering your presentation. By staying still, you are showing that you are prepared and confident. In order to successfully fail, halfway through your speech you should fidget a lot. Perhaps try and fake cry too. This will convey the idea that your nerves have gotten to you and you will lose marks on your ability to speak confidently. In addition to this, avoid eye-contact or, if you don’t want to avoid eye contact stare into someone’s eyes and make them feel creeped out. Preferably the examiners.

For my final point, I must insist that once you choose a topic do not do any research whatsoever. According to the BBC Bitesize, research is essential if you wish to pass your GCSE so I cannot stress enough the importance of you coming unprepared. Thank you for listening to my very entertaining and insightful speech on how to fail your GCSE Oracy exam. Duck, bubble. Any questions?
Reply 1
Your speech is actually hilarious . So just make sure you preform it in a confident way then you should get a distinction for sure .
I took mine recently around a month ago and yours sounds really engaging and interesting. Just things the teacher pointed out about our speeches - speak at a slowed pace, answer questions with facts and details to show you engage with the audience , make sure you learn it by heart properly and plant at least 4 questions with your friends.
Good luck with your speech
Reply 2
Original post by Oscar77777777
can someone grade this please?

How to fail your English GCSE-updated guide 2024

To fail or not to fail? That is the question. Today, I will be teaching each and every one of you how to fail your English GCSE presentation, the benefits being that if you do the complete opposite of everything that I tell you to do, that’s the COMPLETE opposite now, you will be sure to succeed. Welcome to my presentation on how to fail your English Oracy GCSE updated guide, 2024.

Let’s get to it! The first most important rule to failing any exam is so obvious that you’re probably wondering, ‘why is he even telling us this’ or ‘Skip that let’s get to the important parts. However, I assure you with 100% certainty that this is the easiest and most efficient way to fail your exam. Rule 1: Don’t show up to school on the day of your exam. True, this applies to all exams and not just your English Oracy exam but that shows its efficiency. On the not-so-rare occasion that your parents send you to school on the day of the exam because they care about your education or something silly like that, hide on campus and hope that the school doesn’t realize that something’s off and send a bunch of teachers to look for you or have Mr O'Sullivan check the security cameras. Trust me. You do not want Mr O'Sullivan checking the security cameras!

The second most important rule to failing your English Oracy exam is to not speak. In year 6, the teacher, Mrs. Evans wanted us all to write a speech on quantum physics. As you can guess , my former 11 year old-self refused and didn’t say a word. Who on earth did she think she was? Getting us to talk about something that no year 11 should know about. Anyway, I completely failed that task and wasn’t even given a level which I thought was completely unfair as the topic chosen was definitely not year 6 material. Back to my point, the minute you start speaking, it’s game over. However, that being said, you could speak about random things that have absolutely no correlation to the topics given and fail that way. But there’s no fun in that. Not unless you use words like ducks and bubble. One question, Did you know that the words duck and bubble are in the top 2% of words that catch people’s attention? Bet you didn’t. Point aside, While we’re on the subject of lively, fun and interesting words (like duck and bubble), this brings about another obviously important point. If you really want to fail, avoid lively, fun and interesting words. SHOW NO ENTHUSIASM. Interesting words pique people’s attention and we don’t want that as it would be the start to a successful presentation. At this point you may be wondering, ok then, if I can’t use fun words what words should I use? Personally, i would use boring words like grey, brick and rock.

Coming to the last part of my instructional speech, another key principle to remember if you want to fail, is to keep a monotone voice throughout your speech. WJEC have clearly stated on their lovely website that half of your marks are due to the quality of your language and self-expression. So, if you start to speak like a robot then there is absolutely no way that the teacher can award you marks for self-expression let alone the quality of your language. However, if they do award you marks then be assured it is out of pity and not because you did well. DO NOT stay still when delivering your presentation. By staying still, you are showing that you are prepared and confident. In order to successfully fail, halfway through your speech you should fidget a lot. Perhaps try and fake cry too. This will convey the idea that your nerves have gotten to you and you will lose marks on your ability to speak confidently. In addition to this, avoid eye-contact or, if you don’t want to avoid eye contact stare into someone’s eyes and make them feel creeped out. Preferably the examiners.

For my final point, I must insist that once you choose a topic do not do any research whatsoever. According to the BBC Bitesize, research is essential if you wish to pass your GCSE so I cannot stress enough the importance of you coming unprepared. Thank you for listening to my very entertaining and insightful speech on how to fail your GCSE Oracy exam. Duck, bubble. Any questions?

I can't grade it but I did mine in yr 10 (last year and I got distinction). This is an interesting topics compared to other generic ones icl. It was very humorous too lol. I personally think you would get distinction - like the other person said confidence but also practice this and record yourself or make someone watch you to get that pressure but to also practice so you know exactly what you are doing! And do the opposite of what you said🙂 . Most importantly be yourself have a bit of a laugh ig
Best of luck xx

Quick Reply

Latest