The Student Room Group

Tips for organising for A-levels

Hi so I've just started yr12 and I'm looking for some advice on how to organise everything for my subjects. I do Biology (which has a lot of hand outs), chemistry, and psychology (we are mainly working in packs). Do people recommend using notebooks for particular subjects or just writing on lined paper and putting in a ring binder? Any tips for revision or for year 12?
Original post by SafiyaB
Hi so I've just started yr12 and I'm looking for some advice on how to organise everything for my subjects. I do Biology (which has a lot of hand outs), chemistry, and psychology (we are mainly working in packs). Do people recommend using notebooks for particular subjects or just writing on lined paper and putting in a ring binder? Any tips for revision or for year 12?

Hi @SafiyaB

I liked to have a separate ring binder for each subject when I did my A Levels to keep all my work together. I liked to take notes on separate lined paper and then would add these to my folder at the end of the day.

Something I did to keep refreshing my revision was to take the notes in class in just biro pen and then when I got home I would re read the notes and add highlighter, colour coding etc., before I moved the notes over to my folder. This helped me to refresh my memory of the day's learning and also save time in lessons so I could focus on the teacher.

Another revision tip for A Levels is to revise little and often. Maybe try revising a subject topic for about 30 minutes and then take a quick break. Then come back and test yourself on what you have learnt. I could then revise a few topics per day without feeling burnt out.

Quizlet is also great for making online flashcards and it saves so much time and money. Once you have a set made you can then use the cards easily, like in the car, or on the bus, and you can keep updating them as you learn more content over the year.

Best of luck with starting year 12 and I hope this helps!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Original post by SafiyaB

I think it might be helpful to use both a notebook and a ring binder. you could use the notebook instead of lined paper because it keeps everything in one place and in order and you could use the binder for the handouts and packs.
Revision tips
Past papers- anytime you have mocks or exams past papers are key. they are really helpful in helping to familiarise yourself with how each question is asked and also really helpful with timing
Physics and Maths Tutor is a really good website for past papers and notes
Chemrevise is a really good website for chemistry(if you're doing AQA)
Science Hive and Seneca are also really good websites
Use the specification- when you're revising make sure to follow the specification for your subject and exam board because it really helps to know what you need to revise and what will be on the exam
Make sure to revise early and make flashcards early( I heard Anki is really good for flashcard making but I haven't used it)
Notion is a really good website that helps with staying organised
Best wishes for Year 12 ( ˃̵ᴗ˂̵)و
Reply 3
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @SafiyaB

I liked to have a separate ring binder for each subject when I did my A Levels to keep all my work together. I liked to take notes on separate lined paper and then would add these to my folder at the end of the day.

Something I did to keep refreshing my revision was to take the notes in class in just biro pen and then when I got home I would re read the notes and add highlighter, colour coding etc., before I moved the notes over to my folder. This helped me to refresh my memory of the day's learning and also save time in lessons so I could focus on the teacher.

Another revision tip for A Levels is to revise little and often. Maybe try revising a subject topic for about 30 minutes and then take a quick break. Then come back and test yourself on what you have learnt. I could then revise a few topics per day without feeling burnt out.

Quizlet is also great for making online flashcards and it saves so much time and money. Once you have a set made you can then use the cards easily, like in the car, or on the bus, and you can keep updating them as you learn more content over the year.

Best of luck with starting year 12 and I hope this helps!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

okay yeah sounds good thanks
Reply 4
wow thank you!
Original post by hameedah:)
I think it might be helpful to use both a notebook and a ring binder. you could use the notebook instead of lined paper because it keeps everything in one place and in order and you could use the binder for the handouts and packs.
Revision tips
Past papers- anytime you have mocks or exams past papers are key. they are really helpful in helping to familiarise yourself with how each question is asked and also really helpful with timing
Physics and Maths Tutor is a really good website for past papers and notes
Chemrevise is a really good website for chemistry(if you're doing AQA)
Science Hive and Seneca are also really good websites
Use the specification- when you're revising make sure to follow the specification for your subject and exam board because it really helps to know what you need to revise and what will be on the exam
Make sure to revise early and make flashcards early( I heard Anki is really good for flashcard making but I haven't used it)
Notion is a really good website that helps with staying organised
Best wishes for Year 12 ( ˃̵ᴗ˂̵)و

Quick Reply

Latest