The Student Room Group

Tips for A Level

Hello, I'm currently in year 11 and will be entering year 12 soon. Around this time last year, I asked about taking my GCSEs in year 11, and the advice I received was incredibly useful . As a result, I would like to know what tips or habits you suggest for a new year 12 student or for yourself if you could re-start again?. Additionally, What are some mistakes you prefer to not make again in A levels?
Reply 1
Tips and habits
Always keep on top of your work. You are expected to replicate the amount of lesson time you receive in school at home. Personally, after lesson I’d go home organise my folder and reread notes and add any extra information that’s no on the syllabus (you’ll need this for your paper three essays to get into that high band). As well as that it’s best to start doing exams question and files them away with your notes. These exams questions should be topic related for example, if you’re studying biological molecules, make notes of the monomers and polymers and then do the exam questions related to them. I’d leave the full papers to last personally when you have been taught all the content don’t try and tackle questions that you don’t have knowledge on yet. Websites like “physics and maths tutor” or “save my exams” are amazing. Also miss estruch (I think her name is) is amazing if you’re doing A level bio. For essay based subjects like psychology or philosophy you need to be on top of ur work, if you miss out anything it will take weeks to catch up. But yeah basically dont slack off because it will show in your exam results, a levels aren’t like gsces they’re so much more independent, teachers won’t spoon feed u content and baby sit you if you don’t do the work that’s on you. But best of wishes make sure to be organiser and MAKE FLASH CARDS BEFORE HAND not 1 month until exams lmao. Also start thinking about ur uni choices and application via ucas it’s very very important.
Reply 2
Original post by K4m1lk4
Tips and habits
Always keep on top of your work. You are expected to replicate the amount of lesson time you receive in school at home. Personally, after lesson I’d go home organise my folder and reread notes and add any extra information that’s no on the syllabus (you’ll need this for your paper three essays to get into that high band). As well as that it’s best to start doing exams question and files them away with your notes. These exams questions should be topic related for example, if you’re studying biological molecules, make notes of the monomers and polymers and then do the exam questions related to them. I’d leave the full papers to last personally when you have been taught all the content don’t try and tackle questions that you don’t have knowledge on yet. Websites like “physics and maths tutor” or “save my exams” are amazing. Also miss estruch (I think her name is) is amazing if you’re doing A level bio. For essay based subjects like psychology or philosophy you need to be on top of ur work, if you miss out anything it will take weeks to catch up. But yeah basically dont slack off because it will show in your exam results, a levels aren’t like gsces they’re so much more independent, teachers won’t spoon feed u content and baby sit you if you don’t do the work that’s on you. But best of wishes make sure to be organiser and MAKE FLASH CARDS BEFORE HAND not 1 month until exams lmao. Also start thinking about ur uni choices and application via ucas it’s very very important.

Thank you sm for offering realistic advice!! For bio how did you revise specifically and organise ur folders?

Quick Reply

Latest