The Student Room Group

Motorsports job after aerospace engineering

It's likely that I will be going to UWE Bristol to study aerospace engineering and I will join the formula student program likely on day 1. I love planes and I love racing, I have always wanted to do aerospace engineering, and I discovered that a job role in racing teams is aerodynamicist which is a large part of the AE course hence I was wondering if by doing AE MEng course and Formula student if my chances at getting a job in a racing team, maybe even an F1 team, are any good?
Original post by DylanSimeone
It's likely that I will be going to UWE Bristol to study aerospace engineering and I will join the formula student program likely on day 1. I love planes and I love racing, I have always wanted to do aerospace engineering, and I discovered that a job role in racing teams is aerodynamicist which is a large part of the AE course hence I was wondering if by doing AE MEng course and Formula student if my chances at getting a job in a racing team, maybe even an F1 team, are any good?

Depends how good of an engineer you are & what experience you have when you apply, but aerospace as a degree would be fine. Of course aerodynamic roles they expect you to understand both the principles of fluids as well as a basic understanding of the modeling processes involved in using fluids tools.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Depends how good of an engineer you are & what experience you have when you apply, but aerospace as a degree would be fine. Of course aerodynamic roles they expect you to understand both the principles of fluids as well as a basic understanding of the modeling processes involved in using fluids tools.

Cheers! Yeah, I expect to have a few years at airbus and then go looking for a motorsport role as I'm sure that experience will better me as an engineer as well as give me better chances.
Cheers! Yeah, I expect to have a few years at airbus and then go looking for a motorsport role as I'm sure that experience will better me as an engineer as well as give me better chances.

It’s not easy to do this unless you work in direct highly technical role as big industry operates very differently to F1 - especially in terms of development processes, project team structures.
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
It’s not easy to do this unless you work in direct highly technical role as big industry operates very differently to F1 - especially in terms of development processes, project team structures.

Luckily I have family in Airbus in high positions which can help me get a position there and I am looking to join the flight physics team.
Luckily I have family in Airbus in high positions which can help me get a position there and I am looking to join the flight physics team.

They would be unlikely to be able to just get you a position - airbus almost certainly has a robust early career hiring process that involves multiple rounds pre-interview (which is where having inside knowledge can be more useful).
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
They would be unlikely to be able to just get you a position - airbus almost certainly has a robust early career hiring process that involves multiple rounds pre-interview (which is where having inside knowledge can be more useful).

Of course, I would be applying when having finished the MEng in Aerospace Engineering or for a placement year.

Hi - I did my year in industry as an aerodynamicist for one of the F1 teams. Best advice I've got is to get internships from year 1 and get good grades in aero modules. I did my first internship as a technician which was really mundane, but it helped me get a great job in my second year which built out the CV in the long run. Immerse yourself in aerodynamics from now on too in many different ways.

I think you have a good chance. I never believed I could, and I did. Good luck!
You can look at doing a MSc Race Car Aero from Southampton. From what I have heard, it is the best place to go for Motorsports Aero
Original post by EauRouge7105
You can look at doing a MSc Race Car Aero from Southampton. From what I have heard, it is the best place to go for Motorsports Aero

Southampton is a great place to study engineering for aerospace & motorsport but id be careful on the language. No one course is the best place, it always depends on experience and skills as well as what you want to pursue.

It’s important to understand employers in this case F1 teams don’t employ the course or university but individuals with unique backgrounds and it is about presenting a strong case that compliments a teams needs.
Original post by mnot
Southampton is a great place to study engineering for aerospace & motorsport but id be careful on the language. No one course is the best place, it always depends on experience and skills as well as what you want to pursue.

Yeah that is definitely true. Studying at Southampton won't guarantee you a place in F1. Still, I have heard from aerodynamicists currently working in F1 that Southampton is one of the best places alongside Imperial and Delft in Netherlands

Quick Reply

Latest