The Student Room Group

Degree result

Abit of context, I have had quite a rough childhood growing up. Parents divorced when I was 12 so my father was estranged, my brother is fully autistic so I was his carer and when I was 16 my mother was diagnosed cancer, she passed away when I was 19. All of these experiences has led me to have a really traumatic childhood. When I got to uni the PTSD meant I couldn’t focus on my academic studies and I underperformed. For my first 2 years I got a mid 2:2. Because of my degree weightings I could get it to a 2:1. I worked really hard this year but one of my assessments was flagged for plagiarism so I got my marked capped.

I cant stop thinking that if I didn’t go through these events I wouldn’t be in this scenario and the thought of getting a 2:2 is making me extremely depressed. Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Abit of context, I have had quite a rough childhood growing up. Parents divorced when I was 12 so my father was estranged, my brother is fully autistic so I was his carer and when I was 16 my mother was diagnosed cancer, she passed away when I was 19. All of these experiences has led me to have a really traumatic childhood. When I got to uni the PTSD meant I couldn’t focus on my academic studies and I underperformed. For my first 2 years I got a mid 2:2. Because of my degree weightings I could get it to a 2:1. I worked really hard this year but one of my assessments was flagged for plagiarism so I got my marked capped.

I cant stop thinking that if I didn’t go through these events I wouldn’t be in this scenario and the thought of getting a 2:2 is making me extremely depressed. Any advice?

Was the plagiarsim justified? If not then appeal.

A 2ii is not the end of the world - plenty of places will be OK with it.

You've got a degree and should be proud of yourself :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Was the plagiarsim justified? If not then appeal.

A 2ii is not the end of the world - plenty of places will be OK with it.

You've got a degree and should be proud of yourself :smile:

feel like I’ve wasted my time at uni, feel like my whole life is terrible
Reply 3
feel like I’ve wasted my time at uni, feel like my whole life is terrible

It really isn't - talk to student support.

Did you appeal the plagiarism?
Reply 4
After graduation, nobody cares what classification you got.
It might influence an MA application but that’s it.

Cheer up, those are certainly difficult events, but I'm super proud with your results!
Reply 6

What's wrong with a Desmond? All the best people have 2.2s including me. Look. What will be will be. It will simply give you a different set of options. You will still have options though and success is with your grasp however you choose to define success.

Most people define success as money but after 24 years of working it has to be happiness. What is the point in life if you are not happy? So whatever you get, surely you can be happy? Money does not make you happy. I can tell you that for free.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending