The Student Room Group

I'm not sure what's best for me.

Apologies for the ramble, I hope it's somewhat coherent.

I've very recently moved in to begin my life at Uni. First few days that I was here I was terribly homesick, sobbing almost every hour and wanted to go home. I went to the extreme route of considering a transfer or taking a gap year - which is still something I am heavily considering.

Now that I'm here, and had a few days to mull over it. I still want to go home, but there's a tiny part of me that doesn't- and it's confusing me. When I was given the option to move back home, I realised my Uni experience became a bit more sweet. I can't tell if I still need to give Uni a chance, or the idea of (given the opportunity) being back at home made me feel less anxious - I realised I've been somewhat treating this like I'm on a holiday.

I've done research and am aware of plenty of options, it's more so the 'big decision' side of things and the emotional aspect as well. I am also having a appointment with my student support team soon, who will hopefully give me additional advice and opinions. I would just appreciate an outsider (and unbiased) opinion on what I should do.

I'll stop here, as I also realise I still have a lot to emotionally process.
Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.
Original post by Anonymous

I've very recently moved in to begin my life at Uni. First few days that I was here I was terribly homesick, sobbing almost every hour and wanted to go home. I went to the extreme route of considering a transfer or taking a gap year - which is still something I am heavily considering.

Now that I'm here, and had a few days to mull over it. I still want to go home, but there's a tiny part of me that doesn't- and it's confusing me. When I was given the option to move back home, I realised my Uni experience became a bit more sweet. I can't tell if I still need to give Uni a chance, or the idea of (given the opportunity) being back at home made me feel less anxious - I realised I've been somewhat treating this like I'm on a holiday.

I've done research and am aware of plenty of options, it's more so the 'big decision' side of things and the emotional aspect as well. I am also having a appointment with my student support team soon, who will hopefully give me additional advice and opinions. I would just appreciate an outsider (and unbiased) opinion on what I should do.

I think that you absolutely need to give it more time where you are. Find your feet, get into your course, meet new people, learn how to live outside of your immediate family and friends...
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
I think that you absolutely need to give it more time where you are. Find your feet, get into your course, meet new people, learn how to live outside of your immediate family and friends...

Thank you. I appreciate this.

I told myself and my family I would give it some time before I made a decision. I'm very mentally drained which I feel is not only clouding my judgement but also ruining this experience for me a bit.

I've planned a few day trips over this weekend and for my fresher's fair next week and hope it will help me with this process.

Thank you again, ageshallnot.
Thank you. I appreciate this.

I told myself and my family I would give it some time before I made a decision. I'm very mentally drained which I feel is not only clouding my judgement but also ruining this experience for me a bit.

I've planned a few day trips over this weekend and for my fresher's fair next week and hope it will help me with this process.

Thank you again, ageshallnot.

You're welcome! Let us know how you get on! 😃
Reply 4

I say give it till christmas.

My first degree i was so homesick, and all i wanted to do was give up and go home. I remember sitting in my PTs office crying once, and she said the first term is always the hardest for freshers, and often when most drop out.

Its still very early in the year, but give it more time and youll become more settled and it will get easier.
You got this
It's completely normal to feel the way you're feeling - it's a big step to go to uni and everyone feels overwhelmed at first. The important thing to realise is your feelings are valid and not think you're the only one or it somehow means the experience will always be this way. You should celebrate how well you've done to get where you are, and just focus on the present - maybe giving it a chance realising you're in control of where you are and where you'll be. Be kind to yourself and focus on your health, but know everything can be figured out.
Reply 6
It's going to be a tough few weeks but I appreciate everyone's advice. Thank you so much.

I'll honestly try my best, but I realise there might be a few more steps in my life I need to take before taking a big leap again. But I will think hard, talk to my family and friends and really think this through.
I'm considering therapy for a plethora of issues (I'll spare the details), but my mental health has really hindered my life in many ways and it's taken me going to Uni to realise this.

I would still like to continue higher education, just maybe at this point in my life it is not so. I've been told I'm not going to disappoint anyone, and there's no shame. I will keep that advice close to me.

Maybe Uni is for me, maybe it isn't. I will follow my heart.

I'll see if I can update you all in a few weeks,
thank you everyone.

I wish you all the best. <3
Reply 7
Hi all, it's OP/Anon here.

I know some may not agree with me, but you don't know me and I don't know you.
I've made my decision and honestly I'm a whirlwind of emotions - happy, sad, disappointed and relieved all at once.

After about a week of being here, I decided to drop out. I loved the city where I am, it's beautiful, and my lecturers, they are great. But for the sake of my own mental health, I've dropped out.

I realised I only considered Uni in the first place because all my friends are there - and of course, my college back at home really pushed it onto all of us. I can't say I blame anyone, but I realise that I was not doing this for myself but, instead, other people. 'Comparison is the killer of joy', and those words will stick with me for the rest of my life.

I can't say I'm not disappointed in myself, this wasn't an easy decision. This is just a stumble in my road that I will not let disrupt my journey.

So, my advice for others who are just like me: this wasn't an overnight decision. This was the hardest decision I think I have ever had to make. If you know it in yourself, call it a gut feeling, listen to that feeling. Talk it out. Really think about this. I do not want to discourage anyone from stopping University because of anything - this was for me, my mental health, and the consideration of my loved ones. But do what you need to do. This is your life, and you know yourself better than anyone. There is help out there, I just wish I found mine sooner.

It won't be easy but from here on out; I'm planning on finding a job, and going to my GP to make some discussions regarding my mental health and where to go from here.

My Uni journey doesn't stop here though- I'm hoping to apply to my Uni back at home, it's prestigious, but I have the grades for it, so I'm hoping they'll give me a chance for 2024. I don't really have any other plans besides that, so I will leave it there for now as a worry for future me.

Thank you all for the responses and advice.
I wish you all the best,
Anon.

Quick Reply

Latest