The Student Room Group

PGCE with QTS that uses remote learning?

Hi everyone,
I am in the process of applying for a PGCE primary place at my local universities, however there are approx 500 applicants for each course and 45 spaces collectively. I just wondered does anyone know of a university in England/Scotland that offer a PGCE with qts through online learning as a mum it's not feasible for me to go to physically anywhere for a full year to study! TIA
Reply 1
Original post by Hgerm15
Hi everyone,
I am in the process of applying for a PGCE primary place at my local universities, however there are approx 500 applicants for each course and 45 spaces collectively. I just wondered does anyone know of a university in England/Scotland that offer a PGCE with qts through online learning as a mum it's not feasible for me to go to physically anywhere for a full year to study! TIA

Your time in university is very small for the training year as you will be spending most of it in schools; even courses offered online require you to be in a school in order to learn how to teach, manage behaviour, and learn how education works etc and to prove you meet the teaching standards to be recommended for QTS. During my PGCE I spent the first two weeks in uni and then every Friday until Xmas, after Xmas we had a week at uni and then every few weeks, we were in on the Friday. The rest of the time was at school, working school hours.

So, if you can't physically go anywhere for a year, it might be best to wait until your children are old enough not to need you as much. My son was in year 5 when I went back to university and y9 when I did my teacher training, so he didn't need me to collect him from school etc. Becoming a teacher with young children is hard, especially if you have no support network in place, as you need to be there before children start and after they've finished, so you'd need to think about how you will work around your own family for that.
Reply 2
Original post by Hgerm15
Hi everyone,

Have you considered applying through schools direct of SCHITT courses nearby? University is only one of many routes into teaching.
https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/
Reply 3
Original post by hotpud
Have you considered applying through schools direct of SCHITT courses nearby? University is only one of many routes into teaching.
https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

Unfortunately in Northern Ireland that is not an option xx
Reply 4
Original post by ChammyFTT
Your time in university is very small for the training year as you will be spending most of it in schools; even courses offered online require you to be in a school in order to learn how to teach, manage behaviour, and learn how education works etc and to prove you meet the teaching standards to be recommended for QTS. During my PGCE I spent the first two weeks in uni and then every Friday until Xmas, after Xmas we had a week at uni and then every few weeks, we were in on the Friday. The rest of the time was at school, working school hours.

So, if you can't physically go anywhere for a year, it might be best to wait until your children are old enough not to need you as much. My son was in year 5 when I went back to university and y9 when I did my teacher training, so he didn't need me to collect him from school etc. Becoming a teacher with young children is hard, especially if you have no support network in place, as you need to be there before children start and after they've finished, so you'd need to think about how you will work around your own family for that.

I think you misunderstand. I live in Northern Ireland where two universities offer a PGCE course. I have no problem being on placement and I have childcare and an excellent support system, thank you however what is not feasible is for me to leave them and live in England or Scotland for a year while training. Hence why asking for about a course that is delivered through distance learning as I can complete placements in my local schools.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending