The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Can you get into LSE Econ without FM and TMUA?

Basically my school forgot to give a warning to people about the tmua and 90% of the people missed the warning so now I want to know how seriously TMUA is taken.
Ik chances without FM are low but is it impossible without TMUA?
Original post by MadxAnyone
Basically my school forgot to give a warning to people about the tmua and 90% of the people missed the warning so now I want to know how seriously TMUA is taken.
Ik chances without FM are low but is it impossible without TMUA?

'Applicants that have taken the Test of Mathematics for University Admission (TMUA) are encouraged to share the results. The test is not required, however a good performance on the test may increase the competitiveness of your application.'

Directly taken from their L101 course website. This suggests that applicants who are applying to Cambridge Econ (which requires TMUA) are encouraged to share their results, but as stated clearly - it is definitely not required and it has been said by LSE in various places that people who haven't applied to Cambridge and therefore haven't taken the TMUA wouldn't be at a disadvantage.

There have been countless instances when applicants who submitted average or well below average TMUA scores were still offered a place, for example a student with a score of 3.0 still received an offer - suggesting that for Pure Econ, they hardly look at it and it's not of much relevance. It is more important for LSE courses offered by the Dept of Mathematics though (eg. Bsc Maths & Econ), where they state an applicant is encouraged to take the TMUA (again, not required) whereas for Bsc Econ, offered by the Dept of Economics, applicants are only encouraged to share the result IF they have taken the exam.

It is much more detrimental if you have applied without FM, as that is basically a requirement looking at their admission statistics for the proportion of offers handed out to applicants with and without FM. Whereas, not taking the TMUA shouldn't have much of an impact at all.

It's often a case where applicants who haven't taken FM, try to prove their mathematical ability and that they have the quantitative skills required to LSE through the TMUA, and that could work but without both FM and the TMUA, it's pretty difficult in terms of chances - but anything is possible and there definitely has been the odd case an applicant without FM or the TMUA has got an offer, solely dependent on their excellent grades and PS.
(edited 6 months ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending