The Student Room Group

Flunking Science

Hi,
I am in Year 10, and started a few weeks ago.
I’m predicted for a 9 in History, RE (which I’ve been allowed to do in Y10) and English. Music and Drama will probably be 7s or 8s. I will probably get about a 6 in Maths (though the school estimates higher).

However, I am terrible at Science, it just bores the living daylights out of me, I can’t focus in class, and I don’t have the motivation to do so. Is it ok to not try in Science, for sake of the other subjects? I’m not planning on doing anything remotely science-related, or anything that will require a science GCSE. I’d rather get great scores in the subjects I’ll actually do something with than a mediocre grade in Science and slightly worse scores in what I’ll go on with.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by vvmax
Hi,
I am in Year 10, and started a few weeks ago.
I’m predicted for a 9 in History, RE (which I’ve been allowed to do in Y10) and English. Music and Drama will probably be 7s or 8s. I will probably get about a 6 in Maths (though the school estimates higher).

However, I am terrible at Science, it just bores the living daylights out of me, I can’t focus in class, and I don’t have the motivation to do so. Is it ok to not try in Science, for sake of the other subjects? I’m not planning on doing anything remotely science-related, or anything that will require a science GCSE. I’d rather get great scores in the subjects I’ll actually do something with than a mediocre grade in Science and slightly worse scores in what I’ll go on with.

It’s really important to give it your all throughout all your subjects equally as it makes you a well rounded person. If you don’t enjoy science maybe just do the double science and try your best to get the highest grade you can. It’s also important to note that by doing triple science you will have 3 separate gcse grades instead of just double award. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sara654321
It’s really important to give it your all throughout all your subjects equally as it makes you a well rounded person. If you don’t enjoy science maybe just do the double science and try your best to get the highest grade you can. It’s also important to note that by doing triple science you will have 3 separate gcse grades instead of just double award. :smile:

I’m doing double award but I was asked to do triple by the school (even though I got 12/60 or something like that on the latest test) due to some average score from my other subjects including the ones I do very well in. I’m sufficiently behind in Science because for the past two years I’ve been loaded into top set due to said average score and I haven’t been able to catch up.
Reply 3
Original post by vvmax
I’m doing double award but I was asked to do triple by the school (even though I got 12/60 or something like that on the latest test) due to some average score from my other subjects including the ones I do very well in. I’m sufficiently behind in Science because for the past two years I’ve been loaded into top set due to said average score and I haven’t been able to catch up.

I would ask to be moved down a set.Some people respond better when they are not surrounded by people who are great at a subject when you are finding it a struggle.
Reply 4
Original post by vvmax
I’m doing double award but I was asked to do triple by the school (even though I got 12/60 or something like that on the latest test) due to some average score from my other subjects including the ones I do very well in. I’m sufficiently behind in Science because for the past two years I’ve been loaded into top set due to said average score and I haven’t been able to catch up

Maybe it’s worth discussing this with your science teacher. Explain how you feel and what you think would be better for your grades.
Reply 5
Original post by sara654321
Maybe it’s worth discussing this with your science teacher. Explain how you feel and what you think would be better for your grades.

I raised this non-stop for two years until I was moved down this month but even the lowest group are so far ahead by now. It doesn’t help that Science is a subject I have no interest in whatsoever and if it wasn’t a core I would have ditched it.
Reply 6
Original post by vvmax
I raised this non-stop for two years until I was moved down this month but even the lowest group are so far ahead by now. It doesn’t help that Science is a subject I have no interest in whatsoever and if it wasn’t a core I would have ditched it.

Well you have a year so I suggest you try your best with the time you have left.I was in this position myself only with languages when we were forced to do both French and German.I was good at everything except languages so it was frustrating to give up subjects I was good at .I scraped passes but it was important to keep my total GCE passes up.Same goes for you.Any chance you could get a tutor at all or otherwise look out YouTube tutorials.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest