The Student Room Group

Job interview

I have a job interview soon and I’ve been thinking about the question ‘what is your weakness’.

For me, I just practically find it hard to share emotions and stuff with anyone whether in school, with friends or even with family. And this causes me to bottle up emotions way too much.

This is practically the only weakness I can think of. But the thing is, the industry I want to go into requires communication so I thought that I’d get ruled out just for that.

I’ve been honest about it in other job applications e.g. McDonalds 2 times but still I was turned down (guarantee because of ‘shyness’). I applied to McDonalds a third time, making a fake personality who is outgoing (the total opposite of me) and managed to progress further than I did before.

Should I say something else to guarantee a place, or admit this and just risk being turned down? I've already been very demotivated in getting a job because of getting turned down many times.
Thanks.

(P.s. if Important for answers, I'm a uk college student looking for a part time)
Original post by Nyanomii•にゃのみい
I have a job interview soon and I’ve been thinking about the question ‘what is your weakness’.

For me, I just practically find it hard to share emotions and stuff with anyone whether in school, with friends or even with family. And this causes me to bottle up emotions way too much.

This is practically the only weakness I can think of. But the thing is, the industry I want to go into requires communication so I thought that I’d get ruled out just for that.

I’ve been honest about it in other job applications e.g. McDonalds 2 times but still I was turned down (guarantee because of ‘shyness’). I applied to McDonalds a third time, making a fake personality who is outgoing (the total opposite of me) and managed to progress further than I did before.

Should I say something else to guarantee a place, or admit this and just risk being turned down? I've already been very demotivated in getting a job because of getting turned down many times.
Thanks.

(P.s. if Important for answers, I'm a uk college student looking for a part time)

You say "the industry I want to go into requires communication" and that you "find it hard to share emotions and stuff with anyone whether in school, with friends or even with family".

That being the case, have you given any thought bas to whether this is really the right industry for you?
Original post by DataVenia
You say "the industry I want to go into requires communication" and that you "find it hard to share emotions and stuff with anyone whether in school, with friends or even with family".

That being the case, have you given any thought bas to whether this is really the right industry for you?

Yes, yes I have.
Reply 3
Whenever discussing weaknesses, I've been told to focus on what I'm doing to improve on it. so if you do mention this as a weakness, I'd say it's very important to consider what steps you're taking to work on this and to turn it into a strength. I do say that it's a toughy as emotional recognition is probably needed for roles like those, however the key thing is also to be honest and use a real weakness.

Maybe you could rephrase it e.g. like "I sometimes struggle with emotional recognition whilst focused on highly important tasks..."
It's ok now the interview has past probs flunked it anyway
yeah i've flunked it
im done now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending