The Student Room Group

GCSEs

Hello,
Can someone please explain me one thing about GCSEs enrollment. Can I be enrolled in the college and do GCSE Maths and English, simultaneously booking the exams for English Literature, History and Science in an exam centre or any other suitable place for it? I am 18 by the way.

Thank you for all answers
Original post by Pioooooort
Hello,
Can someone please explain me one thing about GCSEs enrollment. Can I be enrolled in the college and do GCSE Maths and English, simultaneously booking the exams for English Literature, History and Science in an exam centre or any other suitable place for it? I am 18 by the way.

Thank you for all answers

Yes. As far as I can see, there's nothing stopping you from doing this. You can check with your college to check, but as far as I know you're fine.

Just out of interest, why are you resitting so many GCSEs?
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Yes. As far as I can see, there's nothing stopping you from doing this. You can check with your college to check, but as far as I know you're fine.

Just out of interest, why are you resitting so many GCSEs?

Hello, thank you for your answer. I don't resitting any of GCSEs, I am not from the UK, English is my second language, and was wondering the easy and quick way how to achieve secondary education and be ready to go to uni
Hello, thank you for your answer. I don't resitting any of GCSEs, I am not from the UK, English is my second language, and was wondering the easy and quick way how to achieve secondary education and be ready to go to uni

I see. Have you checked the entry requirements of the specific univerisities and courses that you want to do first? If you haven't, knowing the entry requirements can save you a lot of unnecessary work and headache.
Reply 4
I see. Have you checked the entry requirements of the specific univerisities and courses that you want to do first? If you haven't, knowing the entry requirements can save you a lot of unnecessary work and headache.

I am working on it, but probably I think that international relationships is the best course for me, however I can't find any suitable courses for my age in Manchester as well as meet entry requirements without good GCSE grades
I am working on it, but probably I think that international relationships is the best course for me, however I can't find any suitable courses for my age in Manchester as well as meet entry requirements without good GCSE grades

Sorry, I don't quite understand.

Are you looking for a degree in International Relations?

Where you say you can't find any suitable courses for your age in Manchester, are you specifically looking for colleges? Are you older than 25 or 19?

Can you confirm what qualifications you have from your home country?
Reply 6
Sorry, I don't quite understand.

Are you looking for a degree in International Relations?

Where you say you can't find any suitable courses for your age in Manchester, are you specifically looking for colleges? Are you older than 25 or 19?

Can you confirm what qualifications you have from your home country?

Hello again, thank you for being interested and helpful with all of my enquiries. So, to create a better picture of my future I need to walk you through my background for you to comprehend my idea of education a bit brighter.

I am from Moldova, and I finished, graduated school, received secondary education when I was 16. At 17 I still was at Moldova, and arrived at the UK in the second part of the year. So I was 17, I have applied for school, but they told me, what I am too old for this education. Then I decided to go for a language courses, which lasted one year and I received L1 F.S English and Maths. This year I wanted to apply for level 2 Carpentry Joinery, because decided to do the Construction Management at Uni. At the college, I was notified that I need to do Level Carpentry Joinery firsts, and the whole educational process for level 3 or A level will take me 3 years. In that point I started to think about another ways, which are suitable for me.

I found at the Manchester College website, that frequently the entry requirements for level 3 course is good grades at GCSE, but minimum at 5 GCSEs. That's why a applied for English and Maths at College, and will book 3 GCSEs as well.

Plan B, is to do international relations, for it, I still need to get level 3 at Manchester College, and only after go to Uni.

So my aim for now is to prepare myself for any Level 3 course for the next year. Instead of 3 year education
Hello again, thank you for being interested and helpful with all of my enquiries. So, to create a better picture of my future I need to walk you through my background for you to comprehend my idea of education a bit brighter.

I am from Moldova, and I finished, graduated school, received secondary education when I was 16. At 17 I still was at Moldova, and arrived at the UK in the second part of the year. So I was 17, I have applied for school, but they told me, what I am too old for this education. Then I decided to go for a language courses, which lasted one year and I received L1 F.S English and Maths. This year I wanted to apply for level 2 Carpentry Joinery, because decided to do the Construction Management at Uni. At the college, I was notified that I need to do Level Carpentry Joinery firsts, and the whole educational process for level 3 or A level will take me 3 years. In that point I started to think about another ways, which are suitable for me.

I found at the Manchester College website, that frequently the entry requirements for level 3 course is good grades at GCSE, but minimum at 5 GCSEs. That's why a applied for English and Maths at College, and will book 3 GCSEs as well.

Plan B, is to do international relations, for it, I still need to get level 3 at Manchester College, and only after go to Uni.

So my aim for now is to prepare myself for any Level 3 course for the next year. Instead of 3 year education

Right, in which case have you spoken to the college regarding your results from Maldova and what they are the international equivalent of under the UK system? If they haven't, then ask them to refer to ECCTIS (see: https://www.ecctis.com/_). This would help eliminate the need for so many GCSEs, unless you specifically want to do them for some reason.

In terms of your Plan B, ECCTIS would also apply for university applications. I would only approach the Level 3 course if it's necessary.

In terms of Plan A, I am surprised that they would need you to have X number of GCSEs without considering your previous qualifications. I understand that English and Maths might be a requirement, but for carpentry, it's not strictly a requirement as such at most colleges.

Degrees in construction management tend to ask for any Level 3 qualifications as far as I know, so long you have high enough grades. Have you looked into the specific degrees that you want to do? Entry requirements between degrees can also vary. I've included a sample of 5 courses for your reference:
https://www.gre.ac.uk/undergraduate-courses/engsci/construction-management-bsc-hons#entry-requirements
https://www.londonmet.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/construction-management---bsc-hons/#entry-requirements-section
https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/subject-area/surveying-and-construction-ug/bsc-construction-management
https://uel.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/bsc-hons-construction-management
https://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/construction-management-bsc-hons-2023-24#entry_requirements
The common qualifications these universities ask for are A Levels, T Levels, BTECs (extended diploma where possible), IB, and Access to HE all in any subject.

There is usually a page specifically for international equivalent qualifications from specific countries, but I have only found the equivalent for Maldova from one university listed:
https://www.gre.ac.uk/international/countries/moldova-republic-of
For the others, you would need to contact undergrad admissions to ask for the information.

I would also check whether the carpentry courses that you're doing at Level 3 is accepted at the university that you want to do your degree at. If they don't accept it, you would be wasting your time and money, unless you are able to obtain employment from the qualification (it's not a legal requirement for carpentry in the UK though).

Should you wish to study A Levels or IB at college, you would need to apply as soon as you can to get in. I would ask the 6th form admissions and affirm whether you still have an opportunity for a place (I wasn't sure whether you are strictly over 17 by now).
If not, you are likely looking at doing Access to HE or BTEC in order to be eligible for the degrees at university (although some do accept qualified experience from professional bodies).
Reply 8
Right, in which case have you spoken to the college regarding your results from Maldova and what they are the international equivalent of under the UK system? If they haven't, then ask them to refer to ECCTIS (see: https://www.ecctis.com/_). This would help eliminate the need for so many GCSEs, unless you specifically want to do them for some reason.

In terms of your Plan B, ECCTIS would also apply for university applications. I would only approach the Level 3 course if it's necessary.

In terms of Plan A, I am surprised that they would need you to have X number of GCSEs without considering your previous qualifications. I understand that English and Maths might be a requirement, but for carpentry, it's not strictly a requirement as such at most colleges.

Degrees in construction management tend to ask for any Level 3 qualifications as far as I know, so long you have high enough grades. Have you looked into the specific degrees that you want to do? Entry requirements between degrees can also vary. I've included a sample of 5 courses for your reference:
https://www.gre.ac.uk/undergraduate-courses/engsci/construction-management-bsc-hons#entry-requirements
https://www.londonmet.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/construction-management---bsc-hons/#entry-requirements-section
https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/subject-area/surveying-and-construction-ug/bsc-construction-management
https://uel.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/bsc-hons-construction-management
https://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/construction-management-bsc-hons-2023-24#entry_requirements
The common qualifications these universities ask for are A Levels, T Levels, BTECs (extended diploma where possible), IB, and Access to HE all in any subject.

There is usually a page specifically for international equivalent qualifications from specific countries, but I have only found the equivalent for Maldova from one university listed:
https://www.gre.ac.uk/international/countries/moldova-republic-of
For the others, you would need to contact undergrad admissions to ask for the information.

I would also check whether the carpentry courses that you're doing at Level 3 is accepted at the university that you want to do your degree at. If they don't accept it, you would be wasting your time and money, unless you are able to obtain employment from the qualification (it's not a legal requirement for carpentry in the UK though).

Should you wish to study A Levels or IB at college, you would need to apply as soon as you can to get in. I would ask the 6th form admissions and affirm whether you still have an opportunity for a place (I wasn't sure whether you are strictly over 17 by now).
If not, you are likely looking at doing Access to HE or BTEC in order to be eligible for the degrees at university (although some do accept qualified experience from professional bodies).

Hello again, sorry that I answer you only after a 4 days, it was quite busy week. However, I have got acquainted with everything that you have sent me, for what I am very grateful!

So, the first thing to start is, that college, where I have studied L1 F.S English and Maths has already checked my qualification, which is Certificate of Gimnazium Secondary Education, and the person who worked there told me, that this qualification is below GCSE. Although, tomorrow, being inspired by your words I still will go and will ask to check out about my qualifications, because I think he only referred to English and Maths.

About Universities, that you have sent me, all of them requires minimum bachelor of Moldovan Education.

About Level 3 Qualifications for Carpentry and Joinery, I have decided to do it at Global Banking School, they accept qualifications from Manchester College, where I am planning to receive it.

One thing that I can not get fully is do everything depends on my previous qualifications from Moldova? And if my grades will be good enough, can I apply for any of your listed courses as A levels, BTEC diploma, and so on. If I can, I would rather do it, instead of wasting money on GCSEs
(edited 6 months ago)
Hello again, sorry that I answer you only after a 4 days, it was quite busy week. However, I have got acquainted with everything that you have sent me, for what I am very grateful!

So, the first thing to start is, that college, where I have studied L1 F.S English and Maths has already checked my qualification, which is Certificate of Gimnazium Secondary Education, and the person who worked there told me, that this qualification is below GCSE. Although, tomorrow, being inspired by your words I still will go and will ask to check out about my qualifications, because I think he only referred to English and Maths.

About Universities, that you have sent me, all of them requires minimum bachelor of Moldovan Education.

About Level 3 Qualifications for Carpentry and Joinery, I have decided to do it at Global Banking School, they accept qualifications from Manchester College, where I am planning to receive it.

One thing that I can not get fully is do everything depends on my previous qualifications from Moldova? And if my grades will be good enough, can I apply for any of your listed courses as A levels, BTEC diploma, and so on. If I can, I would rather do it, instead of wasting money on GCSEs

Sorry for the late reply - been busy.

One thing that I can not get fully is do everything depends on my previous qualifications from Moldova?
No, it can be a combination of UK and Maldovian qualifications. Universities and colleges only care whether you meet specific requirements and have the capabilities to do the course that you applied for.

And if my grades will be good enough, can I apply for any of your listed courses as A levels, BTEC diploma, and so on. If I can, I would rather do it, instead of wasting money on GCSEs
That would depend on the specific college. I can't say whether your grades would be sufficient, because it would depend on the admissions personnel of the college. If your grades are sufficient, you should go striaght into your Level 3. However, I would also check whether you have the necessary GCSE Maths and English Language equivalents (I wouldn't worry about other GCSE subjects), because it could be a pain to get around at university i.e. spending a few months doing these can save you a headache later on (also applies for the first job you would get out of uni in the UK).
Reply 10
Hello again, and thank you that you found time to answer all of my inquiries. All of your replies, points, and tips are very helpful and useful for me.

Since you have told me that most of the subjects I need to study depend on the preferred university and its own entry requirements for the major, I have started to look for them in Manchester and found out that one of them fits me so much:

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2024/00675/bsocsc-politics-and-international-relations/entry-requirements/#course-profile

This is the international relations major, which starts in 2024, and I am genuinely looking forward to studying there. However, since I started to look for this university, I found out that one of the entry requirements is that "Applicants must be studying at least one of the following A-level subjects".

So, I conclude from this that this year, besides English and Maths GCSEs, which I study at Manchester College, I need to receive one of the A-levels listed at the site.

I found a company that offers the full-time course and exam in Bolton in June 2024 for £800:

https://cloudlearn.co.uk/course/online-a-level-politics-course-edexcel

I would say that this is a large amount of money, but I am willing to spend it on something that gives me opportunities.

Although I am still a little bit indecisive because I am not truly sure that I do everything right and am not wasting my money on something that I do not need.

Thats why I have decided to directly contact you because I know that you are more qualified in this type of matter and could help me make the right decision. I would like to just check and confirm if I do everything right.

Thank you in advance.
(edited 5 months ago)
Hello again, and thank you that you found time to answer all of my inquiries. All of your replies, points, and tips are very helpful and useful for me.

Since you have told me that most of the subjects I need to study depend on the preferred university and its own entry requirements for the major, I have started to look for them in Manchester and found out that one of them fits me so much:

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2024/00675/bsocsc-politics-and-international-relations/entry-requirements/#course-profile

This is the international relations major, which starts in 2024, and I am genuinely looking forward to studying there. However, since I started to look for this university, I found out that one of the entry requirements is that "Applicants must be studying at least one of the following A-level subjects". So, I conclude from this that this year, besides English and Maths GCSEs, which I study at Manchester College, I need to receive one of the A-levels listed at the site.

I found a company that offers the full-time course and exam in Bolton in June 2024 for £800:

https://cloudlearn.co.uk/course/online-a-level-politics-course-edexcel

I would say that this is a large amount of money, but I am willing to spend it on something that gives me opportunities. Although I am still a little bit indecisive because I am not truly sure that I do everything right and am not wasting my money on something that I do not need.

Thats why I have decided to directly contact you because I know that you are more qualified in this type of matter and could help me make the right decision. I would like to just check and confirm if I do everything right.

Thank you in advance.

If it's specifically Manchester's IR degree that you're interested in, then yeah they will be expecting A Levels or IB if you did them in Maldova: https://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/study/international-students/country-specific-information/europe/
I personally would also do GCSE English Language over the IETLS, which has an expiry date.

If you also look at the entry requirements page, you can also see that Manchester accept other Level 3 UK qualifications (this will vary from uni to uni, so do check for your other choices):
BTEC:
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma - accepted with grades DDM in combination with an A-level at grade A in a different subject area to the diploma.

Access to HE:
We require a QAA-recognised Access to HE Diploma (a minimum of 60 credits overall with at least 45 at Level 3), with merit or distinction in a subject area relevant to the chosen course.
Typical applicant - A mature student returning to education after a number of years.
Typical offer - Pass Access to HE Diploma with 45 level 3 credits (39 Distinctions/6 Merits).
'Pass' in Level 2 English and Mathematics.

Foundation year:
Applicants completing the INTO Manchester in partnership with The University of Manchester international foundation programme are required to achieve AAA in academic subjects and grade B in the EAP with writing and speaking grade B and listening and reading grade C.
Applicants completing the NCUK International Foundation year are required to achieve AAA in academic subjects and grade B in the EAP with writing and speaking grade B and listening and reading grade C.

So it would vary and I recommend you checking your UK options as well. Do check the financing options as well, since I don't know enough about your personal circumstances to know whether you can get to go on some of the above courses for free - do also look into Advanced Learners Loan from the SLC as well.

Yes, Cloud Learn is one of the online colleges that offer A Levels long distance for people above 18. Have you also looked at other colleges such as NEC, Oxbridge, Association of Learning, Oxford Home Learning, etc.?
Some of these colleges don't arrange your exams for you, but it seems that Cloud Learn does. It's up to you whether you want to go ahead with them.
If you do arrange for your own exams, then you would need to arrange for your own bookings and pay for the appropriate fees.

If any of the above isn't clear, it's probably a good idea to contact the Social Science department of Manchester Uni (as opposed to general undergrad admissions): [email protected], [email protected] (see: https://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/about/people/staff-directory/politics-staff/)

Quick Reply

Latest