The Student Room Group

Will Further Maths count as a Third A-Level

Hi there, I'm currently a year 13 student prepping for uni, I do 4 A-Levels (maths, physics, Fmaths and politics) and I'm thinking of dropping politics to make exam season a lot easier for me as its a hefty subject to revise and won't help me get into uni for a maths course. My teachers have advised me that some universities don't accept FMaths as a third A-Level and so I shouldn't drop it and when doing research most universities don't really provide any information on it, does anyone know whether it does count as a third A-level for university?
Reply 1
Are you applying for maths degrees?
Reply 2
Yes, Maths or Theoretical physics
Original post by LuminousDixon
Hi there, I'm currently a year 13 student prepping for uni, I do 4 A-Levels (maths, physics, Fmaths and politics) and I'm thinking of dropping politics to make exam season a lot easier for me as its a hefty subject to revise and won't help me get into uni for a maths course. My teachers have advised me that some universities don't accept FMaths as a third A-Level and so I shouldn't drop it and when doing research most universities don't really provide any information on it, does anyone know whether it does count as a third A-level for university?

If you are wanting to do a maths course then surely its advisable to keep further maths?
Reply 4

It is a third A level and very necessary for your degree choices [I teach Maths] - only a few medicine degrees don't count it.
Reply 5

Fm definitely counts as one of three A levels for those courses. I'm a but concerned about the advice you have received from your teachers and wonder if there is something more going on. Could you ask them for an explanation?
Reply 6

They are simply morons. Given you are applying for Maths or Theoretical Physics, they will only care about Maths and FM (Your other A-level is totally irrelevant and you just need to do well in it for the Universities' own rankings, Physics is nice though) for maths and all 3 for TP but I would guess the majority of weight would be on the maths side of things even in this case.

Given places like Cambrige https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/what-do-we-look-for and Warwick https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/mathsbsc/ explicitly state that their typical offer is in regards to Maths and FM. How likely does it seem that random university X will say, "Yeah you have done Maths, FM and Physics, but we don't count FM for this Maths application because reasons." It is just so perplexing that people can give such advice. Hope you have some other teachers who know a little about applying for a Mathsy course.

Quick Reply

Latest