The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scottish University 2nd Year Entry

I am an English student wanting to apply to the University of Edinburgh. I have seen that most students in Scotland go to University when they are 17. I will be 18. I am applying to economics and my A levels are A*A*A in maths, physics and economics. Is it the normal case that many English students apply for 2nd year entry?
I went to Edinburgh, and most of the Scottish students starting first year after S6 (Year 13) were 18 and had done Advanced Highers (A level equivalent), so I wouldn’t worry too much about the age thing. If you are born ~Dec 2005/Jan 2006 or later you’ll be the same age as the Scottish students - a few of the younger Scottish students will still be 17 and turn 18 during semester 1, as the Scottish years don’t line up exactly with the English ones (although I found they were just as mature as the 18 year olds). It is also possible for Scottish students to go after S5 (Year 12) but I didn’t meet anyone who did that.

I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily the norm for English students to go into second year, but it’s an option for both Scottish and English students with good grades. I think it really depends if you want to just do economics, or if you want to spend more time doing electives in other subjects as well. Going into first year will give you more time for electives (and clubs/societies, uni life, summer work experience), going straight into second year will get you your economics degree faster with a smaller student loan. First and second year courses are both supposed to be at SCQF level 8, which is a level up from A-Level, but this could be anything from similar content but (slightly) tougher assessment, to not much overlap at all. I’d recommend looking at the course content on the DRPS (http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/23-24/dpt/utecnmc.htm) to see how the course content compares. You would spend anywhere between 1/3 and 2/3 of your time in first year doing economics courses, and the rest can be in random subjects (even if you haven’t studied them at school).

Hope this helps!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by bens23
I am an English student wanting to apply to the University of Edinburgh. I have seen that most students in Scotland go to University when they are 17. I will be 18. I am applying to economics and my A levels are A*A*A in maths, physics and economics. Is it the normal case that many English students apply for 2nd year entry?

Hey, did you end up applying to Edinburgh? I don’t think 2nd year entry is an option for Economics anyway, but just wanted to reassure you that most Scottish students are 18 when they go to uni so you should be fine. A small number who were in the younger part of their school year will be 17 at the start of term but will turn 18 during the first semester. It used to be that some Scottish students would go to uni after S5 but this is rare now, the majority will go after S6 which is equivalent to Y13.
Reply 3
Original post by bens23
Most people in Scotland go in to university at 18. However, there is an option for those in s5 (17) to apply for 1st year. You wouldn’t really be able to apply for 2nd year in Scotland unless you had advanced highers (As) so I’d probably say to apply for 1st year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending