The Student Room Group

Failing

I have no motivation to study. I want to do well but I don’t put any effort into doing so.

I’m a very lazy person. I don’t like doing more than the bare minimum and this even affects my life outside of college. I struggle to get up to make food sometimes and mindlessly scroll on my phone so I’m occupying my brain with something.

I rarely ever study and if I ever try to, I only end up doing a few questions then taking a break for far too long. It can take me hours just to get 7 questions on a topic done as I am always distracting myself from my work.

I procrastinate a lot and put off assignments and it’s gotten worse lately: I don’t hand in work on time and when I do, it’s weeks late.

When I get home, I’m already so burnt out from college that I just want to rest. I’m always thinking of the workload I have, it just seems so big and it tires me even more. I spend so much time distancing myself from my work and studies but it’s always in the back of my mind. By the time I think about doing something, it’s already late and I end up going to bed.

I’ve tried timetables but I always abandon them after a few days as I fall out of the routine. I always revert back to procrastinating which results in me getting bad grades. Putting my devices away won’t work either as most of the resources I use are online and even if I were to put my device away, I would distract myself with something else to get myself away from my work.

I’ve been assigned extra classes but I feel like they’re a drag and a waste of time and I hate attending them.

I failed my Year 12 May mocks as I got an E and a U and so I had to do resit tests. I didn’t get much better in my resits as I got a D and an E and almost got kicked out.

I thought this would prompt me to study more as the results were so disappointing yet I did nothing. Absolutely nothing. Wasted my summer holidays and now that I’m in Year 13 and back at college I’m still flunking tests. I’m handing in homework weeks after deadlines whereas I would hand them in usually on time back in Year 12.

I don’t know what to do, I know I’ll fail my A Levels at this rate. Part of me doesn’t care but I also don’t want to disappoint my parents and my teachers.

What I hate about myself is that whenever someone tells me to study I get ****** off. I just lose all motivation to study.

I just wanted to vent that out to someone and whoever is reading this, I wish you the best of luck in your studies.
Go to the GP, they can get you counselling, therapy or even medication all for free. Its worth a shot
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I have no motivation to study. I want to do well but I don’t put any effort into doing so.

I’m a very lazy person. I don’t like doing more than the bare minimum and this even affects my life outside of college. I struggle to get up to make food sometimes and mindlessly scroll on my phone so I’m occupying my brain with something.

I rarely ever study and if I ever try to, I only end up doing a few questions then taking a break for far too long. It can take me hours just to get 7 questions on a topic done as I am always distracting myself from my work.

I procrastinate a lot and put off assignments and it’s gotten worse lately: I don’t hand in work on time and when I do, it’s weeks late.

When I get home, I’m already so burnt out from college that I just want to rest. I’m always thinking of the workload I have, it just seems so big and it tires me even more. I spend so much time distancing myself from my work and studies but it’s always in the back of my mind. By the time I think about doing something, it’s already late and I end up going to bed.

I’ve tried timetables but I always abandon them after a few days as I fall out of the routine. I always revert back to procrastinating which results in me getting bad grades. Putting my devices away won’t work either as most of the resources I use are online and even if I were to put my device away, I would distract myself with something else to get myself away from my work.

I’ve been assigned extra classes but I feel like they’re a drag and a waste of time and I hate attending them.

I failed my Year 12 May mocks as I got an E and a U and so I had to do resit tests. I didn’t get much better in my resits as I got a D and an E and almost got kicked out.

I thought this would prompt me to study more as the results were so disappointing yet I did nothing. Absolutely nothing. Wasted my summer holidays and now that I’m in Year 13 and back at college I’m still flunking tests. I’m handing in homework weeks after deadlines whereas I would hand them in usually on time back in Year 12.

I don’t know what to do, I know I’ll fail my A Levels at this rate. Part of me doesn’t care but I also don’t want to disappoint my parents and my teachers.

What I hate about myself is that whenever someone tells me to study I get ****** off. I just lose all motivation to study.

I just wanted to vent that out to someone and whoever is reading this, I wish you the best of luck in your studies.

You sound alot like me. I just recently flopped my exams but I'm now trying to pull everything together.

However, your case sounds a bit serious so I recommend seeing your gp incase of any deficiency in nutrients as that may contribute to your lack of energy. Maybe try to book a therapist too to help with your procrastination and severe lack of motivation. You need to prioritize your health first if you want to improve on your studies.

After that, try to balance out your study load instead of cramming it together. Maybe ask your friends or a tutor to help you get on your feet. Attend an online one-to-one tuition instead of a class tuition. Your tutor needs to engage with you more. Turn off your electronics to avoid distraction. Move to a quiet and non-stressful area. (Not your bedroom). Start off with one hour of revision each day. Don't bombard yourself in one go. Then gradually work up to 3 hours a day. I learned that those who procrastinate alot are good visual learners so watch some revision videos to help you study. .

An important thing to note is that if you find a particular subject uninteresting or exceptionally difficult, you will feel less motivated to contribute more effort towards it. Maybe try to review which subjects are more suited for you. There is always am option to repeat. If you don't like what you're doing, it's going to be alot harder to excel in that subject.

I hope this helps:smile:
Reply 3
Go to your GP. They can probably help 🙂
Reply 4
same here man, at least i got therapy via school... the highest grade i got was a D and i'm in year 13...
Original post by Anonymous #1

I hear you, I was honestly exactly the same last year to the point that it was hard for me to even take care of myself. I used to get so annoyed with anyone trying to encourage me to study.

That was me last year, this year I’m currently resitting. This year I had more time to organise my mental health and get my priorities straight as well as study. There’s been a significant difference to my grades and ultimately I feel more healthy and happy. I would suggest you do the same.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous

Hey,

Trust me I've been there and done that. Here are my tips:

1) ditch the phone. All the dopamine you're getting is the reason why its so difficult for you to focus and do something remotely boring. I don't care if you need to sell your phone for a nokia or have your mom confiscate it for the next 2 months, it needs to go if you want to get better.
2) if you don't complete any work independently, go to a library and do it there. Maybe bring a friend along and make them hold you accountable for your work. But if you know that you'll both get distracted then just don't.
3) don't overthink about how much work you have. take it bit by bit and break it into small manageable chunks. Stressing is just going to do nothing but waste time and decrease productivity.
4) find a reason why you need to study and do well in your a levels. you mentioned your mom so think: she carried you for 9 months, sacrificed so much to raise you and you're gonna let her down. spend some time reflecting on this, when the why is clear the how is easy.
5) forget about your past mocks, forget about all the time you wasted, thinking about it is just going to waste your time further. Get over it and focus on how you can be more productive in the future.
6) you are not a failure. just because you've failed in the past doesn't mean it's too late to change things now. But you need to stop wasting your potential and get your priorities straight. You get one shot at a levels, even if you resit, some unis still won't accept you. So figure it out, make a plan and make a to do list daily. Bin your phone if you have to, ditch plans with your friends, delete tiktok, insta, snap, wake up early and work hard. you'll have all the time in the world to rot in your room but first you need to get these exams out of the way. You need to accept that no amount of motivational videos or quotes will make you get up and do your work. You need to realise that revising isn't enjoyable and it sucks but you need to firm it and revise so you can pass all your exams.

I wish you all the best for your exams.

Quick Reply

Latest