The Student Room Group

What's similar to creative computing?

Hi guys I'm interested in the creative computing courses as the course looks super interesting to me. However only one university that fits my "standards" (Leicester) is good. However I want to fill up the 5 universities limit.

What courses can I pick that are similar to it so I can make a personal statement that is relevant whilst minimizing my chances of risk

Thank you guys in advance :smile:)
Reply 1
Original post by Clivierx
Hi guys I'm interested in the creative computing courses as the course looks super interesting to me. However only one university that fits my "standards" (Leicester) is good. However I want to fill up the 5 universities limit.

What courses can I pick that are similar to it so I can make a personal statement that is relevant whilst minimizing my chances of risk

Thank you guys in advance :smile:)

Hey there,

I applied for a mix of software engineering, creative computing and digital media courses last year. Here are some that may interest you.

Coventry University: Interactive Media and Web Technologies BSc or Digital Media BA
University Of York: Interactive Media BSc
Birmingham City University: Digital Media Computing BSc
Brunel University: Digital Design BSc
University Of The Arts London: Creative Computing BSc
Royal Holloway: Digital Media Culture and Technology BSc
University Of Leeds: Digital Media BA

Definitely take a read over the course information to see which appeals to you the most.

I am currently at Leicester studying Software Engineering if you have any questions regarding Creative Computing I can definitely help since the first few modules are shared between all computing degrees. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Aceful

Hey there,

I applied for a mix of software engineering, creative computing and digital media courses last year. Here are some that may interest you.

Coventry University: Interactive Media and Web Technologies BSc or Digital Media BA
University Of York: Interactive Media BSc
Birmingham City University: Digital Media Computing BSc
Brunel University: Digital Design BSc
University Of The Arts London: Creative Computing BSc
Royal Holloway: Digital Media Culture and Technology BSc
University Of Leeds: Digital Media BA

Definitely take a read over the course information to see which appeals to you the most.

I am currently at Leicester studying Software Engineering if you have any questions regarding Creative Computing I can definitely help since the first few modules are shared between all computing degrees. :smile:

Thank you so much!! How are you finding software engineering so far?
Reply 3
Thank you so much!! How are you finding software engineering so far?

Just had my first week and I have enjoyed it. The teaching starts from the very basics so you do not need any prior knowledge of the theory and programming (however it does help if you do!)

Currently doing the Computing Fundamentals and Programming Fundamentals modules (which are shared between comp sci, software eng and creative comp) and then also the Mathematics Fundamentals and Computer Architecture modules.These modules last up until December and are a mix of coursework and exams.
Reply 4
Original post by Aceful

Just had my first week and I have enjoyed it. The teaching starts from the very basics so you do not need any prior knowledge of the theory and programming (however it does help if you do!)

Currently doing the Computing Fundamentals and Programming Fundamentals modules (which are shared between comp sci, software eng and creative comp) and then also the Mathematics Fundamentals and Computer Architecture modules.These modules last up until December and are a mix of coursework and exams.

I was interested in doing a foundation year for soft engineering because I don't do A Level maths, think it's a good idea?
Reply 5
I was interested in doing a foundation year for soft engineering because I don't do A Level maths, think it's a good idea?

Honestly it is hard to say. The people doing foundation year only attend 3 days a week whereas the first years attend 5 days a week.

I did A Level Media Studies, Photography and Graphics and I am in the 1st year. So far it has been easy since it has mostly been GCSE content in Maths and even the programming tasks are easy if you have done GCSE Comp Sci. It has only been a week so it may ramp up in difficulty very fast but as of now, I feel like the foundation year may just be going over the basics for a longer period of time and because the first year course is teaching from the basics anyway, it feels like it is not worth it in my opinion because once you complete the foundation year, you will move onto the first year and then would start from the basics yet again.

By the way, you only need 40% in each module to pass it. Because all of the fundamental modules are mainly coursework, if you don't do so great on the exams, you could still pass the module through the assignments since 40% isn't much.
Reply 6
Original post by Aceful

Honestly it is hard to say. The people doing foundation year only attend 3 days a week whereas the first years attend 5 days a week.

I did A Level Media Studies, Photography and Graphics and I am in the 1st year. So far it has been easy since it has mostly been GCSE content in Maths and even the programming tasks are easy if you have done GCSE Comp Sci. It has only been a week so it may ramp up in difficulty very fast but as of now, I feel like the foundation year may just be going over the basics for a longer period of time and because the first year course is teaching from the basics anyway, it feels like it is not worth it in my opinion because once you complete the foundation year, you will move onto the first year and then would start from the basics yet again.

By the way, you only need 40% in each module to pass it. Because all of the fundamental modules are mainly coursework, if you don't do so great on the exams, you could still pass the module through the assignments since 40% isn't much.

Oh wow so you're in a similar boat to me. Can I have your Instagram or something so we can keep in touch on how your degree progresses? Would be really appreciated
Reply 7
Oh wow so you're in a similar boat to me. Can I have your Instagram or something so we can keep in touch on how your degree progresses? Would be really appreciated

Sure, I dmed you.

Can show you examples of the assignments we had so far
Reply 8
Original post by Aceful

Sure, I dmed you.

Can show you examples of the assignments we had so far

Thank you!!! You're super helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending