The Student Room Group

My predicted grades are too low for radiography

Hey so basically I do btec applied science and I’ve been predicted a MPP before anyone says anything yes the course was hard and majority of my class flopped this course so we’re all kind of on the same page :/ I’d like to study diagnostic radiography at uni however I’m very worried that I may not get an conditional offer from any unis. I’ve been checking and the lowest grades taken are MMM but for some unis I’ve never really heard off. Besides the point I’m worried they won’t accept my offer and won’t take me. There’s also an apprenticeship going as well but requires a DMM so no chance at all. What should I do? I’m in a pickle
Original post by Simz0530
Hey so basically I do btec applied science and I’ve been predicted a MPP before anyone says anything yes the course was hard and majority of my class flopped this course so we’re all kind of on the same page :/ I’d like to study diagnostic radiography at uni however I’m very worried that I may not get an conditional offer from any unis. I’ve been checking and the lowest grades taken are MMM but for some unis I’ve never really heard off. Besides the point I’m worried they won’t accept my offer and won’t take me. There’s also an apprenticeship going as well but requires a DMM so no chance at all. What should I do? I’m in a pickle

You have a few options. You could take a one-year Access to Higher Education Diploma at a local college then apply to uni or look for DR courses offering a foundation year. Check with unis offering foundation years if you can apply for the standard course and then be considered for the foundation year if you don't receive an offer.

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/about-access

It doesn't matter which uni you go to for a healthcare course - the NHS will not care where you studied. It just has to be a HCPC approved course:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/course-finder

Also, have a think about therapeutic radiography (also known as radiotherapy) instead. It is not as competitive as DR and can have lower entry requirements.
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
You have a few options. You could take a one-year Access to Higher Education Diploma at a local college then apply to uni or look for DR courses offering a foundation year. Check with unis offering foundation years if you can apply for the standard course and then be considered for the foundation year if you don't receive an offer.

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/about-access

It doesn't matter which uni you go to for a healthcare course - the NHS will not care where you studied. It just has to be a HCPC approved course:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/course-finder

Also, have a think about therapeutic radiography (also known as radiotherapy) instead. It is not as competitive as DR and can have lower entry requirements.

Hello thank you! I also had one more question so if I want to do an apprenticeship but can’t apply as I have a MPP with my predicted, can I still apply to the apprenticeship at the end of my course if I am able to achieve the grade?. Not sure how that would work hence why I’m asking 🙂 thank u for replying
Original post by Simz0530
Hello thank you! I also had one more question so if I want to do an apprenticeship but can’t apply as I have a MPP with my predicted, can I still apply to the apprenticeship at the end of my course if I am able to achieve the grade?. Not sure how that would work hence why I’m asking 🙂 thank u for replying

I'm not familiar with apprenticeships sorry but if the apprenticeship is still open to applications once you achieve your grades, then you will be able to apply.
Hey, :smile:

Diagnostic Radiography is a fantastic course with great future career prospects and opportunities.

As you have not heard of some of the universities that offer the course you should definitely do some research. Each university will deliver the course differently. Therefore it is worth finding out what university you would like to study the course at.

The best way to find out what university is best for you is by attending as many open days. There is so much research and reading you can do about the university however, it is best to see the facilities and campus for yourself!

It will be a great way of hearing more in depth information about the courses by speaking to the academics and current students. It is also a fun day out with a great atmosphere.

If you are worried that you may not reach the grade requirements for the course see if the university offers a foundation year. A foundation year gives you the opportunity to get an understanding of your field before progressing to your chosen degree. Many universities offer a health foundation year and if you successfully complete this year you can then start your chosen degree. It is worth speaking to academics at open days to see if this is a option. Check this link out to find out more about a foundation year: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/applying-for-university/choosing-a-course/why-you-should-consider-a-foundation-year

I hope this helps, and good luck at applying for Diagnostic Radiography :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest