The Student Room Group

Really Struggling in Year 13 - hate college

I realised coming back after Christmas in year 12 (January of this year) that I cannot stand the sixth form college I chose and that I should've gone to the other one near me.

I began having issues last November, I blamed it on one of the subjects I chose but I finally realised coming back after the break that the college was the root of the problem. In early February I tried to transfer but it was too late and it's been hell ever since.

I actually hate my life. I made no new friends (still) and I barely speak to my friends from school.

I have become too anxious to go in because the smell, the buildings everything drives me insane. I want A-levels but I don't want to be subjected to this anymore. My attendance is really bad and I'm either leaving everything to the last minute or not doing it at all because I can't physically do it because any reminder of college makes me feel ill.

I am behind on my history coursework, Art, revision etc. I know it's only this year left but I'm tired after months of all this and not being able to do anything about it. Is there anything I can do? I know it depends but can I get a reduced timetable or something? I am so anxious all the time about going in that I barely get anything done.

I am also concerned that I won't be able to go to university with the previously mentioned subject. I could get an A potentially in those two and a D in that one. I don't even know if I want to go but if I do I'd like to go to a somewhat good one to make it all worth it for me.
Reply 1
Yes you can do something about this. You have done everything practical to try and change the circumstances without success. Now devote yourself totally to your study and revision work and your chosen subjects. You can live for 8 months without friends, without a social life, without a nice environment if this is a short but necessary time frame to get what you need to get in order to find a better study environment (Uni)

College is a means to an end. Devote yourself now totally to the subjects you have chosen to study and focus entirely on the subject content and use your own ability and own self reliance to learn. If you don't have any distractions you have more time to revise and to study. You will never know what you can achieve until you overcome the difficulties you face in life. I can't think of a better personal statement starter for you. When you have put in place a remedial study plan, when you hold those certificates, when you graduate later down the line you can hold your head high. That will give you the confidence to know you can achieve anything in life if you put your mind to it.

Yes you can do this but you have to take control of your head and be determined to finish, not to use external factors as an easy excuse to give up. You have chosen to allow the physical environment to be an excuse for not getting your head around the subjects you want to study. You can if you want, be pragmatic, the building and the environment is as it is. You can't change that but you can change your own attitude to your study and work. Knuckle down, catch up and get the grades you need and leapfrog a set of circumstances that are not ideal but definitely not a reason to flake and give up.

This may not be the best time of your life but it probably won't be the worst. You made a bad choice, so deal with that. Make the best of a bad job. Acknowledge that if you allow this to consume you, that you will have nothing to show for two years at the end of it. What a waste. Go to your tutors now, make a plan (use this site) to catch up and give your sole time and effort to the subjects you are studying. Block out the bad environment (it could be far worse), block out the thought of 'no friends', 'poor me'. Get on with the job of gaining qualifications which has an early end point next year. This state of misery will not last for ever. It is a bad few months but achievable. Presuming you would want to go to Uni - start planning that leap. Go and visit Uni's and see which one's feel like a good fit for you. Get excited at your escape route. Research into your new study arena is a must, and that involves making the effort to go and physically find out what the campus feels like, and get the vibe from students already there.

If you need to get medical support go and get it. Look at the self help section of the MIND website for help with anxiety. But your life still doesn't change even if you find a reason to stop working and bail out of college. The lack of qualifications will still be there next year, and you will probably have no aim, no focus and no chance at making new friends at the new huge social people hub (aka Uni) in a few months time. If you want validation and reason's to avoid the hard head pain of work, study and revision, you can easily find them. When you get to the end of two years study next year you will probably have spent more time and effort avoiding the very thing you don't want to do. Turn this around, get a structured plan, stick to it and make your time work for you.
Original post by Muttly
Yes you can do something about this. You have done everything practical to try and change the circumstances without success. Now devote yourself totally to your study and revision work and your chosen subjects. You can live for 8 months without friends, without a social life, without a nice environment if this is a short but necessary time frame to get what you need to get in order to find a better study environment (Uni)

College is a means to an end. Devote yourself now totally to the subjects you have chosen to study and focus entirely on the subject content and use your own ability and own self reliance to learn. If you don't have any distractions you have more time to revise and to study. You will never know what you can achieve until you overcome the difficulties you face in life. I can't think of a better personal statement starter for you. When you have put in place a remedial study plan, when you hold those certificates, when you graduate later down the line you can hold your head high. That will give you the confidence to know you can achieve anything in life if you put your mind to it.

Yes you can do this but you have to take control of your head and be determined to finish, not to use external factors as an easy excuse to give up. You have chosen to allow the physical environment to be an excuse for not getting your head around the subjects you want to study. You can if you want, be pragmatic, the building and the environment is as it is. You can't change that but you can change your own attitude to your study and work. Knuckle down, catch up and get the grades you need and leapfrog a set of circumstances that are not ideal but definitely not a reason to flake and give up.

This may not be the best time of your life but it probably won't be the worst. You made a bad choice, so deal with that. Make the best of a bad job. Acknowledge that if you allow this to consume you, that you will have nothing to show for two years at the end of it. What a waste. Go to your tutors now, make a plan (use this site) to catch up and give your sole time and effort to the subjects you are studying. Block out the bad environment (it could be far worse), block out the thought of 'no friends', 'poor me'. Get on with the job of gaining qualifications which has an early end point next year. This state of misery will not last for ever. It is a bad few months but achievable. Presuming you would want to go to Uni - start planning that leap. Go and visit Uni's and see which one's feel like a good fit for you. Get excited at your escape route. Research into your new study arena is a must, and that involves making the effort to go and physically find out what the campus feels like, and get the vibe from students already there.

If you need to get medical support go and get it. Look at the self help section of the MIND website for help with anxiety. But your life still doesn't change even if you find a reason to stop working and bail out of college. The lack of qualifications will still be there next year, and you will probably have no aim, no focus and no chance at making new friends at the new huge social people hub (aka Uni) in a few months time. If you want validation and reason's to avoid the hard head pain of work, study and revision, you can easily find them. When you get to the end of two years study next year you will probably have spent more time and effort avoiding the very thing you don't want to do. Turn this around, get a structured plan, stick to it and make your time work for you.

this is awful advice you muppet
Reply 3
Original post by andromedaarobin
this is awful advice you muppet

And your advice is ........ Nothing
Reply 4
Original post by Muttly

I think this is excellent advice
Original post by Muttly
And your advice is ........ Nothing

did you not hear the bit where they said they physically can’t .. you literally just rinsed and repeat the stuff that people who don’t really care say. do u not think that someone has said “just crack down” before , cuz best if we could we would. u r a muppet for thinking that your advice was groundbreaking and when you have a piece that doesn’t revolve around prioritising an english a level over your own body and minds wellbeing then write a book about it since we’d all like to know
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 6
did you not hear the bit where they said they physically can’t .. you literally just rinsed and repeat the stuff that people who don’t really care say. do u not think that someone has said “just crack down” before , cuz best if we could we would. u r a muppet for thinking that your advice was groundbreaking and when you have a piece that doesn’t revolve around prioritising an english a level over your own body and minds wellbeing then write a book about it since we’d all like to know

I'm sorry I missed your positive constructive response? Perhaps you have some better advice? Like give up? If you haven't got anything constructive to say then don't bother. It's not really helping the OP is it?
Most colleges allow you to leave when you're not in lessons, can you do your work at home or in a public library and only come in when you have an actual lesson? I was in a similar situation and having no friends became a lot less noticeable when I started only coming in for lesson times. If you want to go to uni it's definitely worth putting up with for 2 more terms and getting your A levels, don't let your future be ruined by this very temporary unpleasantness
Original post by Muttly
I'm sorry I missed your positive constructive response? Perhaps you have some better advice? Like give up? If you haven't got anything constructive to say then don't bother. It's not really helping the OP is it?

i wasn’t providing advice i was providing sympathy for OP . bold assumption that your comment was constructive or helping OP
Reply 9
i wasn’t providing advice i was providing sympathy for OP . bold assumption that your comment was constructive or helping OP

By all means rage against the world and individuals. None of us have any great answers, only a perspective. No one holds the moral high ground in any conversation here on this site. But the comments here are genuine, and focused on the OP rather than an angry response toward another TSR member.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest