The Student Room Group

Normal homesickness or something to worry about?

Is anyone else really struggling with being new to university and away from home? I really didn't expect it to be this hard, and I just want to ask if my experience sounds normal and I should just stick it out, or if I should try and ask my uni for help?
I moved to a city 2 hours' drive away from home for uni just over 3 weeks ago and I love my course, but I literally haven't settled in any other way. I feel like I barely know my flat mates, they seem nice when I do chat to them but 2 of them are going home every weekend and one of them is a foreign exchange student who just seems lovely but on a totally different wavelength and life stage to me. I've signed up to 4 societies to meet people, I love them all in principle and I'm looking forward to learning from them, but I'm filled with worry every time I have to step into the room and face people. Everyone seems older or more confident and I feel so out of my depth. I'm sure everyone on my course will become friends, they seem nice, but I find myself at the table smiling and nodding along but secretly terrified and unable to put a single word into the conversation. They all seem to be super laid back about the course, where it's the one thing I really care about here.
I went on one night out on fresher's week and it just scared me. I had some fun while I was there but it just doesn't feel worth the stress before and after, not to mention my inability to say no to boys who ask for snapchats or whatever, and my terror when they actually message me, can't tell if all of this is more down to past experiences or just my personality.
I am forcing myself to be involved as much as I can but I just want to hide in my room, which isn't helped by the fact I can't fall asleep well here despite earplugs/relaxing audio/books which would usually work. It's just so tiring, especially as I am trying to seem fine to my parents on the phone. I know I was a generally stressy person before I moved here, but this is worse than I was since I was in year 9, the literal worst I've ever felt in my life.
Basically this has all culminated in me crying in front of 2 lovely university staff trying to help me with a scholarship, a 2nd year student at karate training and, most humiliatingly, one of my tutors while in a full design studio. And feeling dizzy for about 3 days straight, which gets a lot worse in stressful situations. I'm pretty sure that's not normal since I don't see anyone else doing it, but will it just go away on its own?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Is anyone else really struggling with being new to university and away from home? I really didn't expect it to be this hard, and I just want to ask if my experience sounds normal and I should just stick it out, or if I should try and ask my uni for help?
I moved to a city 2 hours' drive away from home for uni just over 3 weeks ago and I love my course, but I literally haven't settled in any other way. I feel like I barely know my flat mates, they seem nice when I do chat to them but 2 of them are going home every weekend and one of them is a foreign exchange student who just seems lovely but on a totally different wavelength and life stage to me. I've signed up to 4 societies to meet people, I love them all in principle and I'm looking forward to learning from them, but I'm filled with worry every time I have to step into the room and face people. Everyone seems older or more confident and I feel so out of my depth. I'm sure everyone on my course will become friends, they seem nice, but I find myself at the table smiling and nodding along but secretly terrified and unable to put a single word into the conversation. They all seem to be super laid back about the course, where it's the one thing I really care about here.
I went on one night out on fresher's week and it just scared me. I had some fun while I was there but it just doesn't feel worth the stress before and after, not to mention my inability to say no to boys who ask for snapchats or whatever, and my terror when they actually message me, can't tell if all of this is more down to past experiences or just my personality.
I am forcing myself to be involved as much as I can but I just want to hide in my room, which isn't helped by the fact I can't fall asleep well here despite earplugs/relaxing audio/books which would usually work. It's just so tiring, especially as I am trying to seem fine to my parents on the phone. I know I was a generally stressy person before I moved here, but this is worse than I was since I was in year 9, the literal worst I've ever felt in my life.
Basically this has all culminated in me crying in front of 2 lovely university staff trying to help me with a scholarship, a 2nd year student at karate training and, most humiliatingly, one of my tutors while in a full design studio. And feeling dizzy for about 3 days straight, which gets a lot worse in stressful situations. I'm pretty sure that's not normal since I don't see anyone else doing it, but will it just go away on its own?

I would tell your parents the truth and if possible get them to come and pay you a visit next weekend.It is hard starting uni and there is no shame in admitting you are struggling a bit.I would try and find a society that meets at weekends especially Sunday which is a deadly day if you are feeling home sick.
You sound like you are really trying hard and getting no sleep just makes everything seem worse.Three weeks is still early days and I guarantee there are others feeling just like you,but not being able to tell your parents is cutting you off from vital support that you could do with at the moment.Honestly they would rather know than have you suffering in silence.

Quick Reply

Latest