The Student Room Group

Computing GCSE?

I’m reading a lot about how people regretted taking computing gcse, and since I’m planning on taking it in a few months, can I have some opinions from people who are doing it?
Reply 1
What exam board are you doing? Personally, I took it as an extra to do at home (year 11 now), and I don't regret it at all. We'll see how I feel after my GCSE results tho lol :smile:

There's some stuff you have to memorise which suck, like protocols, but I think they're easy to learn with flashcards. And as for coding, I just practise a little bit everyday to build up confidence. Could you tell me what, if anything, in particular you're worried about?
Original post by FlyingSquirrel10
I’m reading a lot about how people regretted taking computing gcse, and since I’m planning on taking it in a few months, can I have some opinions from people who are doing it?

Hi, I do computing gcse, and I think it honestly depends on what teacher you have and whether you enjoy the content or not. Computing gcse isn't too difficult as long as you ensure you understand everything (if not watch a yt video or look through some notes) and once you do you only need to answer questions based on the info (for theory) - and the questions are quite straight to the point. And at the end of every week or lesson, look through the content you did in class and that should re-instate it in your mind.
If you have a teacher who is willing to help you, then that makes doing the gcse a lot easier. But I think that it's not too difficult to get the hang of once you are familiar with the content
Original post by tristana_
What exam board are you doing? Personally, I took it as an extra to do at home (year 11 now), and I don't regret it at all. We'll see how I feel after my GCSE results tho lol :smile:

There's some stuff you have to memorise which suck, like protocols, but I think they're easy to learn with flashcards. And as for coding, I just practise a little bit everyday to build up confidence. Could you tell me what, if anything, in particular you're worried about?

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention this! I’m doing OCR Computing. Im not really too worried since I’d say that coding is one of my hobbies and I always do well in it at school. I was just wondering about other components about the gcse. I know I’m taking it no matter what but I just wanted to know what I was in for.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Hi, I do computing gcse, and I think it honestly depends on what teacher you have and whether you enjoy the content or not. Computing gcse isn't too difficult as long as you ensure you understand everything (if not watch a yt video or look through some notes) and once you do you only need to answer questions based on the info (for theory) - and the questions are quite straight to the point. And at the end of every week or lesson, look through the content you did in class and that should re-instate it in your mind.
If you have a teacher who is willing to help you, then that makes doing the gcse a lot easier. But I think that it's not too difficult to get the hang of once you are familiar with the content

From what I already know about it it sounds like something that I’m definitely interested in. I just read somewhere that the course work for computing gcse took too much of people’s time and it stopped them from getting high marks in their other subjects. Is this true?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by FlyingSquirrel10
From what I already know about it it sounds like something that I’m definitely interested in. I just read somewhere that the course work for computing gcse took too much of people’s time and it stopped them from getting high marks in their other subjects. Is this true?

I don't think ocr has coursework (just two theory papers), but if the course you're going to do does have coursework, then I think that it might temporarily put you on hold from doing other subjects. However, once you get the coursework out of the way or get the hang of how to do it, it gets a lot easier from there and you'd be able to focus on other subjects.
If you're interesting in doing computing at gcse, then that will make the coursework 10 times easier (as you actually want to learn it), so I'm sure you would have time to focus on other subjects in the case.

Quick Reply

Latest