The Student Room Group

Studying for exams

How is the easiest way to study for an exams
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by boujee_queen6

It's different for each subject and your own strengths.

From my personal experience, repeatedly doing questions was best for me, but might not be for you.

The best way is to try different methods and find what suits you.
Reply 2

depends on the subject, but for quotes/simple questions i would say active recall(flash cards) but most of all past papers for everything

I think (in general) the first thing you need to do is make sure you understand and know the content of whichever topic/text you're doing. You can watch yt channels or look through a revision guide to do that. Afterwards, you need to practice, you can go on pmt, mme revise and look at past paper questions to practice exam-style questions and see which parts you need to strengthen your understanding in.
If it's for english/history/essay-based subjects, definitely practice your essays and get them marked. You would also need to know some background knowledge, like if you're studying an english text/poem/play think about context (what was happening during the time it was written) and themes (main ideas throughout the text/poem/play).
Reply 4

1) Start early. Like, as early as possible. Like, literally reviewing your notes and consolidating your knowledge every day after you get home -- that way, you're more likely to retain the information and not have to force yourself to remember it a week or two before the exam.

2) DON'T TAKE PRETTY NOTES. I did this a lot in secondary school and it just wasted so. Much. Time. Instead, take structured and well-organized notes that revolve around spec points if you have those. If not, go through your textbook and make sure you know everything in the summary sections.

3) Do it with your friends. Nothing is worse than burying your nose in a textbook and having to completely abandon your social life. Surround yourself with overachievers so that their energy rubs off on you.

Quick Reply

Latest