The Student Room Group

A level mini tests

Hi everyone. I just screwed up my first in class assessment for biology and I don't know how to feel. I'm in yr 12 and I've never had such a low grade before. At gcses I got 9s and 8s and I'm so dissapointed. I also revised really hard and yet got the 3rd lowest in the class(21/39). I feel so low and I'm scared that the teacher may use this as my predicted grade for parents evening. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by tania bee
everyone. I just screwed up my first in class assessment for biology and I don't know how to feel. I'm in yr 12 and I've never had such a low grade before. At gcses I got 9s and 8s and I'm so dissapointed. I also revised really hard and yet got the 3rd lowest in the class(21/39). I feel so low and I'm scared that the teacher may use this as my predicted grade for parents evening. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

everyone's grades go down at the start of Y12, especially with a subject like biology, where there is such a jump from GCSE. One of the good things about biology in particular is that whilst some topics are harder than others, for the most part the actual complexity of the content remains similar, meaning that the challenge is to figure out how to revise all the content but - due to the content not being *too* difficult to understand - once you have mastered this, all it takes is practice, which you still have basically the entirety of Y12 and Y13 to do

I promise that even though it feels like you will be stuck at this level for the entirety of A-level, once you figure out how to revise the volume of content, you'll be fine

On the topic of the predicted grade, if it's something you're worried about maybe speak to your teacher and perhaps let your parents know that, so early in the course, really the grades are very liable to change
Reply 2
Original post by yogo1o
everyone's grades go down at the start of Y12, especially with a subject like biology, where there is such a jump from GCSE. One of the good things about biology in particular is that whilst some topics are harder than others, for the most part the actual complexity of the content remains similar, meaning that the challenge is to figure out how to revise all the content but - due to the content not being *too* difficult to understand - once you have mastered this, all it takes is practice, which you still have basically the entirety of Y12 and Y13 to do

I promise that even though it feels like you will be stuck at this level for the entirety of A-level, once you figure out how to revise the volume of content, you'll be fine

On the topic of the predicted grade, if it's something you're worried about maybe speak to your teacher and perhaps let your parents know that, so early in the course, really the grades are very liable to change

Thanks for the advice. The actual content, so far, has been very manageable. I know the content but due to perhaps the lack of exam practice I'm not achieving what I should be. And I suppose nows the time to figure out what revision technique works best:smile: As for the predicted grades my patents have REALLY high expectations so if I tell them they would be really disappointed. Nevertheless thanks for the advice 😁
Reply 3
I've found the two things that work best for me for bio (I do OCR so it might vary a bit) are flashcards (I use anki) and practicing past paper questions by topic on P&MT but the important thing is you still have LOADS of time to figure it out

Quick Reply

Latest