The Student Room Group

are my grades good enough for dentistry?

I'm wanting to apply to dentistry (i'm in year 12 right now taking biology, chemistry, and psychology) and i'm a bit worried about my gcses. however, so far i'm keeping up fine with my a levels and have been doing quite well in topic assessments so i'm hopefull that i can do well in a levels. of course i have the ucat to do as well later on. im mostly worried about my maths, chemistry, and physics grades and fear they'd hold me back.
my gcses were
Biology: 7
Chemistry: 6
Physics: 6
Maths: 6
English Lang: 8
English Lit: 8
RS: 9
Spanish: 8
Drama: 8
Japanese: 6

as you can see, they're not the worst grades in the world but they certainly could've been better...
i've checked the requirements on quite a few dental school's websites and i meet the requirements for a good few however i'm worried despite this that i wouldn't stand a chance against people with all 8-9 grades :frown:
do i have a chance at getting in provided i do well in a levels and ucat??? any advice is appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by wavetovenus
I'm wanting to apply to dentistry (i'm in year 12 right now taking biology, chemistry, and psychology) and i'm a bit worried about my gcses. however, so far i'm keeping up fine with my a levels and have been doing quite well in topic assessments so i'm hopefull that i can do well in a levels. of course i have the ucat to do as well later on. im mostly worried about my maths, chemistry, and physics grades and fear they'd hold me back.
my gcses were
Biology: 7
Chemistry: 6
Physics: 6
Maths: 6
English Lang: 8
English Lit: 8
RS: 9
Spanish: 8
Drama: 8
Japanese: 6

as you can see, they're not the worst grades in the world but they certainly could've been better...
i've checked the requirements on quite a few dental school's websites and i meet the requirements for a good few however i'm worried despite this that i wouldn't stand a chance against people with all 8-9 grades :frown:
do i have a chance at getting in provided i do well in a levels and ucat??? any advice is appreciated!

These grades are completely fine. Unis won't pick someone based on their GCSE grades. If you have an amazing personal statement, ucat and a level grades you will get in even against someone with all A's in their GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest