The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Cambridge or can I even get in?

Hello, I really want to study in Cambridge ( preferably Downing college) .
I was originally doing Psychology, biology and chemistry ( because I wanted to get into medicine) but I changed my mind to do Law.
I want to study law there but I am not sure if that is realistic.
So, I would rather someone tell me I can't go into law then wasting all my time & effort to not get in.
This is my gcse score : Geography - 8, R.S-9, Sociology - 7, Science - 7-7, Maths- 6, English lang - 7 & english lit - 6, Modern language - 6.

These are the A-levels I am doing:
Psychology, law and sociology.
I know I need to get A*A*A to get in but will my gcse grades bring me down and should I even bother applying ?
Reply 1
Original post by naniya~
I was originally doing Psychology, biology and chemistry ( because I wanted to get into medicine) but I changed my mind to do Law.
So, I would rather someone tell me I can't go into law then wasting all my time & effort to not get in.
This is my gcse score : Geography - 8, R.S-9, Sociology - 7, Science - 7-7, Maths- 6, English lang - 7 & english lit - 6, Modern language - 6.

I know I need to get A*A*A to get in but will my gcse grades bring me down and should I even bother applying ?

Your GCSEs won’t stop you from getting in. My daughter got into Cambridge with very similar grades to you. With excellent A-level grades, LNAT, extra curricular,Personal statement and school references you are likely to get an interview, and then of course you need to perform well at interview.
Reply 2
Original post by lalexm
Your GCSEs won’t stop you from getting in. My daughter got into Cambridge with very similar grades to you. With excellent A-level grades, LNAT, extra curricular,Personal statement and school references you are likely to get an interview, and then of course you need to perform well at interview.

Oh, thank you.
I became really anxious over the past days since before my whole life was about medicine and now I am suddenly changing to law.
If you don't mind, can I know what a-levels your daughter did and what grade she go in them.
Thank you.
Reply 3
Original post by naniya~
Oh, thank you.
I became really anxious over the past days since before my whole life was about medicine and now I am suddenly changing to law.
If you don't mind, can I know what a-levels your daughter did and what grade she go in them.
Thank you.

It was for a different subject, Philosophy, but requirements are similar to law, plus Cambridge is known to put much less emphasis on GCSE results across the board. She was predicted 3*A and that is what she achieved.

Also, I don’t think you are doing yourself any favours by worrying about which uni you will go to at this early stage. Presumably you are still in lower 6th. Your subjects are absolutely fine for law, so just focus on those for the time being. Do the best you can in every test, and once you sit your end of year mocks, you will get your predictions and at that point you can see what uni you can apply to.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by naniya~

Hi there, did you end up applying/getting in? I'll be at Downing next year :smile:
Original post by nimrodpaz
Hi there, did you end up applying/getting in? I'll be at Downing next year :smile:
nice, what were your stats grade wise, and you did an entrance exam, right?
Reply 6
Original post by jacksmith23
nice, what were your stats grade wise, and you did an entrance exam, right?
I got 999999999999 (twelve 9s) at GCSE, and predicted 4A* in Maths (which I've already sat), Further Maths, Biology and Psychology 🙂 No entrance exam for me!
Reply 7
Original post by nimrodpaz
I got 999999999999 (twelve 9s) at GCSE, and predicted 4A* in Maths (which I've already sat), Further Maths, Biology and Psychology 🙂 No entrance exam for me!
THATS INCREDIBLE WOW!! what subjects did you do? sorry if this is intruding or something, but how did you revise so well?
Original post by imhomo2017
THATS INCREDIBLE WOW!! what subjects did you do? sorry if this is intruding or something, but how did you revise so well?

Haha thank you 😅 I did (*deep breath*) Triple Science (Bio, Chem, Physics), Maths, Further Maths, English Lit and Lang, Geog, Spanish, Drama, Music, and Hebrew. Revision-wise, it was mainly flashcards and past questions/papers, and a real emphasis on revising my weakest points first. I also started very early and remained consistent until the end - I'd actually attribute the grades not to the specific revision methods, but rather a real drive to work hard every day to the best of my abilities (which sometimes meant no work at all!) and having high standards for myself, hope that helped :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by lalexm
It was for a different subject, Philosophy, but requirements are similar to law, plus Cambridge is known to put much less emphasis on GCSE results across the board. She was predicted 3*A and that is what she achieved.
Also, I don’t think you are doing yourself any favours by worrying about which uni you will go to at this early stage. Presumably you are still in lower 6th. Your subjects are absolutely fine for law, so just focus on those for the time being. Do the best you can in every test, and once you sit your end of year mocks, you will get your predictions and at that point you can see what uni you can apply to.

hi if u don’t mind saying, what were her supercurriculars and what did she get on her LNAT?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending