The Student Room Group

Wrong Cambridge College

I just realised I applied to the wrong Cambridge college, I applied to St John’s but I meant to apply to Kings. I have an offer from Homerton but I’ve made a stupid mistake. Is there anything I can do?
Not really. Unless you have an extremely compelling reason, changing college is not really an option. I have never heard of anyone changing college (except for say between undergrad and postgrad) and permission to do so would be granted only in exceptional circumstances. It also is unlikely to be worth going through the entire application process again, which would be the only feasible way of doing it.
Reply 2
Original post by melancollege
Not really. Unless you have an extremely compelling reason, changing college is not really an option. I have never heard of anyone changing college (except for say between undergrad and postgrad) and permission to do so would be granted only in exceptional circumstances. It also is unlikely to be worth going through the entire application process again, which would be the only feasible way of doing it.

Would an email to them not convince them?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1

No because all of the colleges will have offered all of their places to students already so you won't be able to switch. Also, you must have been pooled from John's if you ended up at Homerton. Since King's is really competitive and popular among undergraduates (quite like Trinity), the chances of you getting in there would also be slim (not to put you down). If I were you, I'd be happy with Homerton because you'll still get the Cambridge experience you might be after albeit at a different college.
Reply 4

No, you'll just look a bit silly.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79

No, you'll just look a bit silly.

Yeah that’s true 🤣
Reply 6
Original post by vnayak

No because all of the colleges will have offered all of their places to students already so you won't be able to switch. Also, you must have been pooled from John's if you ended up at Homerton. Since King's is really competitive and popular among undergraduates (quite like Trinity), the chances of you getting in there would also be slim (not to put you down). If I were you, I'd be happy with Homerton because you'll still get the Cambridge experience you might be after albeit at a different college.

Yeah I was pooled but I’m just annoyed because making this mistake means that I didn’t even give myself a chance with kings, if I’d at least been pooled from them instead of St johns I’d have been happier

If the email didn't have a compelling reason then no
But you may have been rejected by Kings, so you could consider it a serendipitous mistake that you applied to a college which pooled you. You are going to Cambridge - congratulations.
Reply 9
Yeah I was pooled but I’m just annoyed because making this mistake means that I didn’t even give myself a chance with kings, if I’d at least been pooled from them instead of St johns I’d have been happier

Yeah you might not even have been picked up had you applied to King's. Remember there is an element of pot luck within the pooling system and it's the same for the reconsideration pool too.
Reply 10
I just realised I applied to the wrong Cambridge college, I applied to St John’s but I meant to apply to Kings. I have an offer from Homerton but I’ve made a stupid mistake. Is there anything I can do?

How is it possible that you have only just realised, when you would have been interviewed by the college you applied to i.e St Johns?
Reply 11
Original post by wannabe squirrel
But you may have been rejected by Kings, so you could consider it a serendipitous mistake that you applied to a college which pooled you. You are going to Cambridge - congratulations.

I know but I’d rather have been pooled by kings knowing I at least tried getting into my chosen college rather than not even getting a chance
Reply 12
Original post by lalexm

How is it possible that you have only just realised, when you would have been interviewed by the college you applied to i.e St Johns?

It sounds stupid but I got them mixed up because I literally did no research about the colleges
Reply 13

I know but I’d rather have been pooled by kings knowing I at least tried getting into my chosen college rather than not even getting a chance

Also I’m just concerned about the location
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 14
It sounds stupid but I got them mixed up because I literally did no research about the colleges

Whatever the reason, you can't do anything about it. If you want to go to Cambridge you will have to go the college that you got the offer from. Apparently everyone ends up really liking their college though, so no reason why it would be different for you.
Original post by ABhat
Also I’m just concerned about the location

I understand your concerns but quite frankly, if you didn't even have a close enough look at the colleges to be able to tell St. Johns and Kings apart, you should bother about them too much now... Just be happy that you got accepted into Cambridge, because other hardworking people didn't get that chance. I'm sure you'll love your experience if you just go into it with this mentality instead of the feeling that, somehow, picking Kings would have made a big difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending