The Student Room Group

GCSE Math prep

Hi all, currently at a Grade 4 (ish) in maths gcse and lack of knowledge/understanding of technique, questions and formulas are letting me down.

I sit the higher paper and want to (hopefully!) get a 6/7 in the end, that’ll be brilliant for me.

I was wondering if there were any tips anyone has?

I so Pearson Edexcel Igcse Higher. I’ve got the Rev guide, workbook, flash cards and past paper book. I plan to make the most of YouTube, Maths Genie and my teacher and workshop in coming months.

Are there any other guidance? Thanks
Reply 1
Once you’ve secured knowledge of the topics just keep focusing on exam style questions/ past paper question
Original post by 12ftg
Once you’ve secured knowledge of the topics just keep focusing on exam style questions/ past paper question

Great, thanks!
To revise for my mocks, I watched this channel: https://www.youtube.com/@TheGCSEMathsTutor . He made useful videos that covered every topic that could come up in the exam, and so I would pause the video, do the question, and then check it to see if I got it right, and if not I would watch how he did it and make notes. That got me a 7 in my mocks. For my real exam revision, I went through about 4 past papers for paper 1, 2 and 3 (which took a very long time) but it helped me to get used to most types of questions. And so I got an 8. So what I would say is what the videos from TheGCSEMathsTutor, to help you grasp the topics, and then once you feel you have broad enough understanding, do past papers. And make sure you work out where you went wrong, so you don't do it again. Hope this helps.
Original post by  CuriousGeorge
To revise for my mocks, I watched this channel: https://www.youtube.com/@TheGCSEMathsTutor . He made useful videos that covered every topic that could come up in the exam, and so I would pause the video, do the question, and then check it to see if I got it right, and if not I would watch how he did it and make notes. That got me a 7 in my mocks. For my real exam revision, I went through about 4 past papers for paper 1, 2 and 3 (which took a very long time) but it helped me to get used to most types of questions. And so I got an 8. So what I would say is what the videos from TheGCSEMathsTutor, to help you grasp the topics, and then once you feel you have broad enough understanding, do past papers. And make sure you work out where you went wrong, so you don't do it again. Hope this helps.

This is great advice, thank you.

I’ll be going through his videos (I’ve seen a few alongside Maths Genie and others and really liked him!)
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest